Wednesday, October 06, 2004

tragically unhip

i have fallen in love with mojave 3. it was only the one song that caused me to stop the chaos enveloping me at my desk and roll away from the computer for a few moments. three empty starbucks cups around me (a subject i will address in a minute), one week old cup of coffee and two bottles of empty water bottles at my desk, papers stacked up in no particular order and a phone that keeps ringing tells the story of my week. it's been crazy. i am exhausted.

but then i heard mojave 3. and despite the pressure on every minute dripping with needs to be met, i found their site and read the reviews. Ken Micallef quotes from Give what you take: "I've been looking for a love, pretty soon I guess I'll f--- things up." Ken goes on with a stellar reivew: "...the quartet's spare, eloquent, and often majestically beautiful songs coming from a well of resigned heartache. Lovers come, lovers go, where they end up, nobody knows."

so check them out at mojave3online.com.

in the meantime, i'll be at my desk with my cup of starbucks coffee. oh yes, almost forgot ...

my friend paul writes that i'm not a true coffee aficionado unless i quit my starbucks addiction. funny that after our conversation about never wanting to be "cubby-holed," he suggests i align myself with the kind of person who also hates being "cubby-holed" and in so doing, becomes exactly that - the elusive, non-cubby-holed person. everyone's cubby-holed at some point. it's what we do. everyone's got a name for someone.

i want to be hip, artsy, clever, giddy, funny, smart. but compared to someone with ultra-chic urban-cool fashion sense who shops only consignment shops, i am not hip. and compared to someone who has decorated his house with a full out circular theme, i am not artsy. and compared to someone who can draw parallels between the presidential debates and indie horror flicks from the 60s, i am not clever. compared to someone who has been a cheerleading captain for years in high school and is often asked to throw parties because she's so vivacious, i am not giddy. you get the point ...

all i'm saying (paul), is that you're right. i am not "special" in any clever-chic-trendy-you-can't-define-me kind of way. i shop at the gap. mark, joe, katie - they make my coffee at starbucks. i go see mainstream movies with happy-ever-after endings. i like u2 and coldplay and counting crows. and yes, i even own an enrique iglesias cd AND a jars of clay cd. so what if i like low-budget movies and coffee shops with pillow seating and books about educational policy? forget all that. label me as tragically uncool if you have to pick something. i kinda like the way it sounds.

5 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, Blogger erin said...

smiles wash over my face as i read your thoughts. i just love you. you are the bestest ever.

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Adam said...

I love mary barga

 
At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

as mary's only brother-in-law, I need to say that mary astounds me with her writing abilities. Why am I not reading this in a newspaper or magazine?!!!???!!!

then again, maybe soon I will be . . .

you're awesome, maria!!

Chris

p.s. you should see how proud your sister is when she reads these!!!

 
At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So this is where I'm supposed to get defensive and say you've got it all wrong.

No, I'm not right--I never said you're not "special," nor did I ever utter "aficionado." Dammit, Barga, you ARE special, and all your friends keep telling you that.

Drink your Starbucks. I confess--I've had two pounds of it in my cupboard before, and I drank every last drop.

Shop your Gap--I wear their jeans. But don't do these things cause I'm reaffirming that it's OK to do them, or because they help dilute your specialhoodnessismity. Do them cause, damn, good coffee is good and comfy jeans make you wanna boogie like Lenny Kravitz is dancing with you. MMMMMhmmmmm.

And for the record, cubby-holing is not assigning someone to a subculture or social predisposition--that is, at least not how I used it that evening. Rather, it refered to how I, at one time in my life, cubby-holed my friends so they would never meet and have to deal with eachother (and really, all my different interests).

See how much your discussion your blog is precipitating? Hot hot hot.

--paolo (marcoe.net)

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Mary said...

hmmm, so many dammits in that last comment. bad day?

off to decide what to wear for the events tomorrow ... wish i had my incredible sister's delicious fashion sense. sar - cocktail parties saturday night, got to get ready in a hurry ... what to wear?!?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home