Sunday, August 07, 2005

savored

i've been on a writing halt. i've been making this list in my head of conversations or thoughts or experiences or musings that are blog-worthy, but when it actually comes time to writing, i feel like it'll end up as a detailed event schedule:

friday, 9:00 am - meet goldberg family and bs my way through conversation on admission policies at seattle's best private schools (seriously, stash that in "details they left out of the job description").

friday, 11 pm - drive to corner pocket for pool with girlfriends. non-milwaukee team loses to milwaukee team with my sad knock of the 8-ball into the pocket. losing by default does not, however, imply that the other team wins. no one wins in a "losing by default" game. why does no one understand that?!?

saturday, 1:00 pm - eat at joy yee's, a chinatown restaurant recently closed for rats and pestilence. ignore the furry scurrying felt on feet under table and enjoy spicy green beans and orange beef.

saturday, 3:30 pm - walk around chicago's millennium park and discover a gazillion more reasons why chicago is one of the coolest cities in the world.

sunday, 11:00 am - breakfast at uncommon ground with two of my favorite people on the planet.

here's the thing. i care so much about these moments. i care that my friends drove all the way to chicago to celebrate each other. i care that our conversations were sometimes slow, sometimes beautiful, sometimes funny, sometimes emotional. i care about this day. i care.

i've been tired of forgetting to care. 3 years of my life have gone by and i don't remember them the way i remember every single year of high school or college. 3 years. 3 years!!! what if someone had come to me my senior year of college and explained that the next three years would be a blur? not just because my memory really is aging. not just because i'm spending more time trying to pump myself up to go the gym because the combination of my slowing metabolism and my spurts of rejecting the treadmill are actually beginning to age me, but because i'm too busy thinking about what's to come. not even future future talk, but even in thinking about the next day or the day after that or the coming weekend. i'm tired of forgetting to care about loving this minute.

ok, ok. i know i'm starting to sound like your high school's motivational retreat speaker. and you can roll your eyes and gag. but this is important to me. i want to be a great lover of life. i want to remember my 25th year. i want to laugh about it. i want to think about it fondly when i'm old. i want to see jesus in every moment. want to savor every little piece. want to spend my life loving Him and doing things that are good. like loving my friends better. and listening to them better. and spending money rightly. i don't want to forget that my life is not my own. i don't want to turn 50 one day and wonder what happened in the last 50 years. i want to know them, because my heart, my mind and my soul were actively engaged in living them.

i am so hopeful, so happy that ALL of that is possible.

4 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I think you got a spam comment. That's the first one I've seen. Sadly, I fell for it and have probably just invited little spyware creatures into my office computer.

By the way, I love how you call my job "my office." If you only knew... hee hee...

I had a fab time this weekend-- seeing you guys, getting away, the whole combo, jolts me into a similar state of enjoying things, realizing life is way too precious to blur through.

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger Mary said...

thanks for the heads up, laura. i permanently deleted it this morning.

ditto on the good times. can't wait for portland next year :)

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

Hey Mary, I so appreciate your comment on wanting to enjoy and remember each year.....for whatever reason I struggle with remembering things and just recently actually, have been trying to make a conscious effort to try and store those "moments" - misc. interactions with people, etc. - into my long-term memory for enjoyment later.

Wasn't it the movie The Neverending Story where there was a part where someone's memories were collected/gathered into little marbles in a glass jar and there was something in the story where there was risk of loosing those marbles one memory at a time???? When I was little I remember being so very scared in that moment and it was a big deal and it felt like a very realistic possibility to completely loose who you are by loosing your memories.....anyway, I'm rambling now but I think of how I felt when I saw that part in that movie for the first time and I actually feel that sometimes when I forget stuff.....normal stuff...normal experiences....

it's quite a profound, sad, sinking kind of feeling....I struggle to make myself remember my experiences that make up who I am today....however, (hence the word "struggle") I am not very good at actually accomplishing that and it's sad.....that's why I feel sometimes that I really don't know who I am...yet I think it's incredibly important to know who you are.....reminds me of the wonderful song by Frou Frou..."Let Go"

"These mess-ups
You bubble-wrap
When you've no idea what you're like..."

hmmmm.....sorry for the book. thanks for letting me ramble...

 
At 5:17 AM, Blogger Mary said...

teresa, well said. i am struggling with this, too. maybe i should blog more often about the little things. those small interactions that leave a profound - though perhaps not yet understood? - impact on me. my journal tends to be more about feelings ... but when i look back on those journals i want to know the experiences that led me to feel x, y or z.

this is a big load. but i agree. i think it's worth the effort.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home