Thursday, July 21, 2005

the week's highlights

it's been noted that i've dedicated myself to topics of the love and marriage nature in recent blogs, so i am responding with a commitment to avoid such issues for at least the next two entries (it's very difficult to write about anything without mentioning love. isn't love the very essence of life? *sigh* but i'll do my very best to satisfy my three-person audience).

so what's new ... the highlights of the week thus far have included:

  • getting my IL driver's license. i had to take a written test since my last license was from WI. i nearly failed, but that wasn't my problem. they asked the most ridiculous questions! for example, you tell me how a round yellow circle clearly signals railroad tracks ahead. ridiculous. the lady passed me, drew a check on my test, but looked up, caught my eye and said, "you make sure you study the signs." i kept her stare and replied - unhesitating - "you show me a plain, round, yellow circle anywhere in the city of chicago, and then i'll study your signs." for crying out loud ...
  • finding out i am actually, finally, knock-on-wood, getting my own office. it's small, that's for sure. but it's mine. during our stand-up staff conversation yesterday, i felt for a moment that i'd be relegated to the worst cubicle hole for a fourth year in a row. i'm situated in a spot in the office that - while it offers an ear to every single conversation in the office - also offers an ear to every single conversation in the office. that and my walls are the lowest in the office, so every now and then a co-worker will snap her fingers at me to get her a pen and paper if she's having a conversation with someone right at my desk. gotta love that kind of respect. so anyhow, i'll be ordering office furniture soon enough and am hoping to create a welcoming space, a creative and engaging environment, a workspace that says, "you belong here." exciting ...
  • discovering that i have no pigment in my retina. or at least, i think it's my retina. regardless, some part of my eye doesn't have any pigment in it, which is the reason my optometrist never has to dilate my pupils. he says that they're already so big. that plus the fact that my eyes are so blue is the reason that i will forever get red eye in photos. he also said i should never ever leave the house without sunglasses or a brimmed hat. this is exciting news. i have always envied old women for their crazy, large, eclectic hat wearing skills. and now i have an excuse to join them in their stylish accessorizing.
  • seeing the most beautiful rain clouds i have ever seen. on the way home this afternoon, these gorgeous, smoky gray, smooth, curvy, skin-like clouds swam into a sea of ash gray cumulus clouds. it was breathtaking. and dreamy.

actually, they're still out there. so i think i may sneak out on my porch and watch them dive through the sky a bit more. no use dreaming of it if the reality of it is beckoning you. i'm just saying ...

10 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aha. somewhere beteween memory and premutations of your name, i found it :?

i agree on the stunning clouds. the best were in layers of contrasting luminosity...

i have a mohawk to show and tell if you're interested, but mostly, i hope you're well

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Mary said...

ah, mark. welcome to my secret blogging world. i should make you swear in with some secret oath, but we're friends now, right? all good. welcome :)

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger Bret said...

From the two months I've been stuck in Schaumburg, it is hard to believe that they would require a test for Wisconsin drivers when I see the crazy driving from the Illinois drivers.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Laura said...

I love clouds. There have been some great clouds the last few days with all this crazy weather. Congrats on your new office too.. I'm sure you are pumped. And who doesn't love ordering your own furniture??!

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the personal office space...well, I'm not holding my breath. I celebrated prematurely when you first shared the news several months ago. Now, I'm not so trusting (not of you, but of the powers that be / powers that make and fulfill office space promises). Hmm. I'm hoping, though, that this time, the office becomes a reality and not just some pipe dream for someone else to get to enjoy 10 years down the road. grr.
Aside from that big-sister/friend skepticism, congratulations on the hat requirement! (Some sort of "hurrah!" seems to be in order for that kind of thing.) I'm sure the sr. high kids going with us to chi-town this coming week will envy you. We aren't allowed to wear hats of any kind while we're in town. Only if the person is bald (Chris could count - he shaved down what hair he had), are they permitted to don the ever stylish "fisherman's hat." Needless to say, I think he's just going to "don" the sunscreen instead.
heaps of love to you.
p.s. i just sent photos in for my 10-year reunion slide show...you're in 2! :)

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Mary said...

bret, what are you in schaumburg for? and also, yes, illinois drivers are crazy. and now, i am one of them ...

laura - don't know if i get to order any new furniture. we've got such a small budget that my jokes about making my new office into a pillow-sitting, hookah-smoking, hummus-eating alumni studio may actually be closer to the truth than not. i'll post pics once it's all done.

and sare-bear, thanks for the big-sister thoughts :) i'm still hoping for the best (indeed, www.deathclock.com gives me 15 more years of life if i have an optimistic vs. normal outlook on life). i'll let you know. and also, yea for the reunion pics! i can't wait for you to go! you're going to have so much fun!

and now, i'm off to an all-black-wearing, trendy-friend, goodbye-party. got to go get my attitude on ...

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Bret said...

I have an internship at Motorola for the summer so, I am in Schaumburg working there instead of having a nice fun summer in Madison.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Mary said...

ah, motorola. my friend eric (see eric j on the right) used to work up in the burbs at motorola. to get the inside scoop, visit his blog and pose a question. i'm sure he could tell you LOTS ... :)

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Bret said...

I have a question you could probably answer. If I were to actually stay in the area some weekend instead of going back to Wisconsin; what would be worth doing?

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger allan said...

Hey Bret
I’m a friend of Jon’s and Mary’s. I actually work just down the road from you in Schaumburg and lived out there for a while. I know that the Chicago burbs can be a bit of a drag, but if you are an outdoors guy I would recommend you checking out Busse Woods. (Trails, cannoning, jogging et.) Another thing I would recommend is checking out Willow Creeks young Adult ministry (AXIS) in South Barrington or Harvest Bible Chapel young adult ministry. They always have loads of fun summer weekend events happening. Hope that helps.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home