Tuesday, June 21, 2005

hodge podge

so i've rated the top running songs ... they are as follows (in no particular order):

1. e-pro ... beck
2. girl ... beck
3. complicated ... poi dog pondering
4. song 2 ... blur
5. you get what you give ... the new radicals
6. hey ya ... outkast
7. lips like sugar ... coldplay
8. girl ... destiny's child

i am loving running. and i'm getting better at it. in fact, my face has stopped reddening so much when i run. i'm again having these grand fantasies of running a marathon someday. i've decided to add that to my before-40 list. so now i've got three things to do before july 30, 2020:

1. get a seat on the board of education in my local school district
2. bike across america
3. run a marathon

in other news, my new friend betsy and i met for lunch today. she encouraged me in my immediate goals - taking my GRE, getting involved in church, and continuing to let god mature me as a believer. i really enjoyed lunch with her because a) she made this incredibly beautiful chicken salad, b) she pulled out her fancy silver (i love people who use their fancy stuff more often than once every seven years) and c) she was so honest with me about her life. her husband died about two years ago, and she talked openly about those struggles, and of living life now. "of course i miss my husband very much," she said, "but i really enjoy being single." it's not what i expected her to say. but we chatted about being single, about being married, about dating, about the whole nine yards of relationships, and came to the conclusion that god will indeed make everything beautiful in its time.

my heart has felt like a balloon lately, like i can actually feel it swelling, expanding. i do enjoy this. and talking with betsy today, being with my parents a couple nights ago, talking with my roommates - all of this has seemed more important than it has in the past two years. i think it's a consequence of this heart-swelling stuff. i feel like, as god expands my heart, i begin to embrace Life. Life - as in Him. i'd felt distant from Him for so long, and now, it seems i can't get through a day without seeing His fingerprints everywhere. and He is beautiful.

a new season. it feels like summer in my heart.

6 Comments:

At 6:16 AM, Blogger jenn said...

#5 on your list is definitely one of my favorite running or doing anything songs...very empowering for any occasion. (i also like Love at First Sight by Kylie Minogue).

I loved your blog...you have a unique way of putting things that I can always see the heart of and that makes me happy.

have a joyous day!

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger rebstar said...

what a beautiful, beautiful post, mary. (as always!!) :)

when i read your song list, i was so curious about the "lips like sugar" song, as i love coldplay and had never heard it...so i researched it a little and found that song by echo & the bunnymen. is that the one you mean? did coldplay cover it or something? :)

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Mary said...

coldplay did indeed cover it. my friend allan found it and burned a copy for me ... he'd know where to get it. it's definitely worth the effort.

and jenn, thanks for the tip on the kylie minogue song. i'll put it on my itunes today!

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger rebstar said...

wow--thanks so much!! :)

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Mary said...

paul, just finished reading your blog.

honestly? it's the best piece of writing on your blog yet. thank you for that.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

Hey Mary,

So funny that you posted your fav. running songs.....I actually have to make special running playlists for myself to run to or else I can't make it! Pathetic, I know but I was just thinking about listing my 2 top favorite playlists as my next post! So, now I'll actually do it.....The playlists include warm up and cool down and the beats per minute increase gradually in each song too.....Ya, I used to teach water aerobics and liked to make up my own special workout playlists because all the community pool had was grandma music....blah. :)

Teresa**

 

Post a Comment

<< Home