Friday, June 03, 2005

one remaining nerve

last night, our office went out for drinks after work. i don't know why i go. i feel like ally mcbeal TOO much of the time with these people. for instance, right now, i'm sitting in my office and my skin is starting to crawl. i'm thinking about how i'd like to rip my headphones out of my computer, blast my new destiny child's find "girl" and do cartwheels everywhere. this is dangerous, however, because our office is a maze of boxes, archives, and misplaced employees.

anyway, as i was saying, last night we all went out. and my colleagues filled me in on what i missed while i was giving a "tour" of the school to an alumna. as it turns out, an office next door thinks our office is just a bunch of divas. and everyone has decided to "fine, then" play the part. lord, if it weren't already true, it'd be funny. then the conversation turned to hollywood - stars, their relationships, their TV shows, their babies - and then i left (many many thanks to brenda for letting me stand up in her wedding so i had to go bridesmaid dress shopping!! i'd try on those dresses every day of the week if it got me out of stuff like this).

i think i'm feeling so irritable because i'm PMSing (okay, okay, i'm sure that's too much information to put online. oh well, too bad). these little things are really driving me up a wall. an example? drumroll, please. a colleague and i were invited about a month ago to coach b's party in june. the evite list didn't list anyone else in our office, so we never said anything. in fact, it wasn't until recently that i RSVPd i was going that she mentioned to me in private that it'd be fun to have people over at her house after coach b's party. so this morning, when the girl who drives me the most nuts here exclaimed, "oh! look at the invitation to coach b's party! how fun is this!" i couldn't help but cringe. not everyone was invited in our office and here she is shouting to everyone how she's been invited now!

so of course, i just couldn't muster up the energy to lunch with her. i wanted to be by myself. but no ... another colleague was going to leave for lunch and i was heading to lunch at our restaurant nearby so i told her i'd walk with her. and she decided she'd have lunch with me. so i spent the entire time listening to her stories. really. it's like being with someone who's paid to read out of a book. i don't think i've actually ever heard her ask a question. and she's funny, don't get me wrong. but sometimes when i'm with her it reminds me of a really bad date i had in college with a guy who talked the ENTIRE time. moments like that i like to light up a disco ball, throw on some tunes and host a party for all my closest friends in my head.

later this afternoon, the girl who drives me the most nuts got a bouquet of flowers from her fiance for their 1-month till the wedding anniversary. i participated in all the oooing and ahhing i could take. but evidently i didn't do enough, because she's put the flowers in my cubicle.

i think i have one nerve left. hmmm, i need dark chocolate.

6 Comments:

At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

umh...i hope your weekend gets better.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger erin said...

you should probably just drop kick that one girl. yeah, that would solve things. (smile) one day she'll realize the reason she is so annoying is because of a deep rooted jealousy she has of your super coolness. then everything will be fine.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger bwhawk said...

Isn't it insane how often one finds oneself hanging on by only a single, small nerve? If it weren't for dealing with people, it wouldn't be so bad!
"At every moment of our lives, we all have one foot in a fairy tale and the other in the abyss..." -- Paolo Coelho

Try not to fall too far into the abyss; it will get better...

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger allan said...

mare, I'll be honest, raw honest.
I didn't like this entry.
I didn't like the fact that you mentioned you PMSing. Fine, it's your blog, yes you can write whatever you like... it's not shocking or gross...it just feels off beat, misplaced kinda....not sure what the word is. (just my opinion)

Also....I like it when you write about how much you love people. That makes me want to buy your book.

*when you're done being upset with my comment give me a call.

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

oh, oh,...my turn, to be honest...and just another opinion of course but I think actually, the fact that Mary mentioned PMSing made the entire post make more sense to me and caused me to identify immediately with her....we all have those days....that's exactly why I love your blog Mary....it's all so very honest. I love it. no censoring; just real. :)

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Mary said...

unless you gave her the link to my blog, adam, yes i am sure she didn't read it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home