Monday, May 23, 2005

sleeping with my bible

ever have nights where you just can't go to sleep? last night was one of those for me. i was scared i'd be awake all night. so i grabbed my bible from my nightstand, clutched it to my chest and fell asleep within 10 minutes. it's one of the best put-me-to-sleep phenomenons i know.

the best part is that i usually wake up with scripture on my mind the next morning. today, i woke up 7 minutes before my alarm with two verses: one from lamentations and one from philippians.

lamentations 3:22 says, "because of the lord's great love, we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."

philippians 3:13-14 says, "forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, i press on toward the goal to win the prize for which god has called me heavenward in christ jesus."

i need to begin today new. focused. and not looking back.

it's gonna to be a good week. i know it.

8 Comments:

At 6:10 AM, Blogger jenn said...

you have to be careful revealling your home remedies for sleeplessnes...you don't want to start another "Prayer of Jabez" explosion or attract too many virgin Mary water stain crazies...or maybe you do, whatever works, right?

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Mary said...

jenn, do you have any idea how much $$$ what's-his-head made off of the prayer of jabez? for real, i'm gonna start marketing bible-encapsulated pillow. oooh, sweet sweet dreams ...

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger jenn said...

ah yes, but then Bruce Wilkinson moved to Johannesburg, South Africa and started a brilliant organization called Dreamgivers that teaches abstinence in schools and helps orphaned children...hmmm...

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger allan said...

But seriously, a 30pg book teaching you a mantra to get what you want from God or a pillow stuffed with shredded bible pages to help you go to sleep?
Jumping Jabez Holy cow, what's the difference anyhow?

"I'm not sure what's worse but if you send me a $1000 check I will send you one free touch from god. Yesss, glory. Put your hand on the screen and repeat after me..."
Sorry, I got carried away practicing for my new Televangelist job. Alleluia.

nothing constructive to say...oh wait:
Yeah Mr. Jabez Wilkinson, South Africa represent!

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger None Atall said...

Today as I was bringing groceries in from the outside, I had so many in my hands, that I decided to hold the cranberry juice close to me, because somewhere I remember reading that the closer in you hold something the lighter it becomes. This is opposed to holding something at a distance in your hands---it feels weightier, quicker. I thought, with that cranberry juice close to my heart, that I would take this concept one step further...the closer you hold something to your heart the less likely it will move from there. It secures it. And you proved my point with your bible clutching sleep. How nice. Now back to Wile-y Wilkinson comments:-).

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger JustaLane said...

i would buy your pillow!

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger Mary said...

this pillow is sound more and more plausible as the day goes by. ooh, and maybe when you squeeze it, it can shoot out a verse at you. you know, like a fortune.

(i didn't have to go to Moody to solidify my sound theology, folks.)

and as a side, ericka, thanks for that note. and by the way, everyone else, if you haven't seen "ericka's blog lately, she wrote a really good one about getting caught in the rain." check it out.

and also, how excited am i about my first comment from paul lane?!?!?

 
At 6:16 AM, Blogger Mary said...

ah, adam, you are a true ccc staffer ... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home