Monday, May 16, 2005

everyone's a little bit racist

this past weekend, i was in la crosse, wisconsin for my little sister's college graduation (yea, paula!!!) so i didn't have the opportunity to meet my roommate's southern friends who were up visiting the "big city." but the report from my roommate was especially interesting. the couple - we'll call them tim and melinda - took a tour of our apartment, and tim, upon entering my room, noted the wolfgang suschitzky photo of a young african girl and the martin luther king, jr. "i have a dream" poster, and - looking to kat for affirmation - concluded "so she likes black guys?"

really? is that the one conclusion people make when looking at my room?

it reminds me of the broadway show, avenue q, which i regrettably paid $100 to see while in nyc. there's this song, "everyone's a little bit racist sometimes ..." that acknowledges that everyone has some kind of prejudice. i understand that. i've seen it. but that people my own age still had black/white issues? really?

it boggles my mind. maybe i've lived in the midwest too long. but the thing is, i know there's racism here. but ... i can't get into it now. time for work. i'll get back to this issue later.

3 Comments:

At 8:12 AM, Blogger allan said...

I highly recommend you watch the new movie CRASH. It's about covert racism today. It shows how we all are prejudice and enter situations with so many presuppositions. It's really intense so be ready!

I meet this author on race called George Yancy. (he wrote Divided by Faith and its follow up United by Faith) and he had just finished writing a new one called "Just Don't Marry One". It's about how people think they don't have race issues in their hearts till someone they love marries a person of another race. Anyway.... another good recommended read.
enjoy!
Day off today... yeah baby!

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Laura said...

yeah, I sometimes feel that our generation has very little racism too, but it's just that we are way more concerned and aware of political correctness so we at least no how to hide that we feel uncomfortable with a certain group of people. But I know that inside myself I still have to fight nervous or irritated feelings around certain groups of people that sometimes arise simply on the sight of someone's color. I guess the difference is just that us northerners are in general moe plagued by white guilt and notions of being pc. I think it's a step in the right direction, and hopefully our children won't even have subconsious reactions like we might.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Teresa said...

sorry i'm commenting so late on this but i just stumbled onto this website last night while procrastinating. dont' really know wheather to laugh or be horribly offended! www.blackpeopleloveus.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home