Wednesday, June 08, 2005

playing with dolls

i need to make this a quick post as my tummy must be fed - preferably at a nearby mcdonald's (i've been thinking about greasy cheeseburgers for days) - before i head off to bible study tonight.

it's been awhile since i've stayed at work later than my colleagues. i like writing when everyone's gone home and all i can hear are the janitors conversing in the hallways. i try eavesdropping, but my spanish has gotten so poor, i am only able to pick up things like, well, my name, when they're talking to me. fine, fine, my spanish stinks. and my french is going right down the drain with it. sad, because i feel i owe it to my 7-year-old french-loving self to maintain at least a beginner's level comprehension of french. as a child, i told my mother i wanted to live, eat, and breathe france. the posters in my room were of paris at night, the eiffel tower by day, and the riviera at dusk. of all my dolls, the "hot looks" doll mimi was my favorite. she was a writer who lived in paris, and she wore a pink beret with a silver star and a beautiful off-the-shoulder purple cashmere-esque long sweater over her purple stockings. she had gorgeous blonde curls and she was the most beautiful, by far, of all the dolls my sisters and i had put together. plus, she spoke beautiful french. or so i imagined. when we played with our dolls, mine always threw in lots of "oh la la"s. she was dramatic - as any good parisian writer should be - and liked to flip her hair over her shoulder.

talking about this kind of makes me wish we all still played with dolls. i'm embarrassed writing this at work, because i'm surrounded by all sorts of tech-savvy gadgets and instruction manuals and catalogs vying for my business. and here i am writing about how i miss playing with dolls.

i think what i miss most about it was it was a safe fantasy world. you could make up stories about princes from switzerland and how they would woo your dolls with the perfect words - and god knows what those words were - you didn't even have to make them up; you could have him say nothing, but both of your dolls had a clear understanding that what was said was perfect, so off they rode into the sunset, happily ever after. and then your mom would call for dinner and you wouldn't think on your dolls a moment later.

i don't really know where i'm going with this. and since my stomach is calling me back to reality, and kat will call any second to tell me she's at the sedgwick stop, i best be off. i wish i could write more on this. i was about to get lost in my thoughts again. i love that.

3 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger rebstar said...

i love that, too, mary (getting lost in my thoughts)...and i loved playing with dolls...and i LOVE this post!!!

thanks for yet another great one.

thank you for the encouraging words about the master cleanser!! :)

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maria, you won't believe this, but just last night or the night before, as I was lying in bed waiting for sleep to overtake me, I was letting my imagination go on another clothing color-&-design adventure...and who should appear but my very own Chelsea "hot looks" doll!?! I asked myself, "have I even thought of her in the past 10 years?!" I couldn't believe she had popped into my pre-sleep ruminations, but there she was, in all her glory: big strawberry blonde crimped hair, turquoise and orange color combinations throughout her "hot looks" outfit.... And now, here I am, a day or two later, reading your own reflections on her "sister." Stunningly eerie, in a good way. A very lovely and fun kind of uncanny. I'm grateful for those memories. (Even if blonde hair-flipping french "Mimi" was a bit self-consumed.) ;)

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger allan said...

I’ll admit. I’m secure in my manhood. I used to play with dolls.
I had my Gi-Joes. I still adamantly call them action figures even though my sister called them boy-dolls. They didn’t like me sister. They would often raid her room, when their Snow Kat (truck) would have mechanical problems and break down. They would steal her My Little Pony© and go on death defying missions through muddy swamps and parachute from such great heights with that poor little pony. I remember trimming it’s tail and mane to make it far more sleek and ready for war against our neighbors dog. Ahhh good times. If only it had been fire proof. See now I got lost in my thoughts…. sorry.

I love memories.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home