Monday, June 27, 2005

until that day ...

this past saturday, i went to the over the rhine concert with erin, kat, laura and amanda at schuba's. it was yet another unsurprisingly wonderful evening with karin, linford and friends. we held our ground in the (more or less) third row and enjoyed a clear view of karin and their sweet drummer for most of the show.

when i couldn't see them, it was the fault of a man of about average height who stood directly in front of me (okay, and also the fault of my own genes for not being tall enough to see over him in the first place). i digress. the guy didn't become a nuisance until halfway through the show, when he felt the necessity to suffocate his girlfriend standing immediately in front of him. now, my apologies to those of you in great relationships who either a) enjoy being the person wrapping your arms around your sig other at a concert or b) enjoy being held so firmly and closely you would certainly die in case of sudden stampede. but really, i couldn't handle it. i felt suffocated. because a) this guy had no rhythm so he'd be trying to sway to his tempo, when obviously his girlfriend was the one with an ear for the beat. so he'd just pull her off course. and - because of their mismatched heights - she'd be hunched over as he held her. i was secretly praying that god would let her be free, unhindered by guy-with-need-to-keep-tight-rein-on-girlfriend. i kept wanting her to stand up straight and be free to dance to her rhythm. he let go eventually when a girlfriend of hers came by to sing along by her side. i feel my prayer was answered.

alright. fine, fine. you can see i'm fully not ready for a relationship. it feels smothering. of course, i can't give this answer to anyone who asks me why i'm not dating. they laugh, and say, more or less, "oh, mary, someday you'll meet someone who you won't mind being smothered by." gag.

so until mr. you-smother-me-good comes along, i've been sent this article. finally, an answer for the very popular question, "why aren't you married?"

7 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Blogger erin said...

ha ha ha. i laughed out loud. fortunately i didn't notice the smothering the other night. i was probably distracted by my own aching back. but, seriously, i hear you. first of all, if you ain't got no rhythm, stay away from me. and secondly, if its hot in here, probably don’t touch me. space people, i need space. maybe we will still be roommates when we’re thirty. and don’t forget the promise I made you if that’s so.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Mary said...

a good friend of mine sent an email to reply to my blog, but i loved it too much to keep to myself so i am posting it here ... thanks for the honesty, friend :)

First off, your birthday column. I would like to throw my name in the hat for being the Official Director of Present Procurement at the California Bed & Breakfast. I happen to think that I am fairly good at buying presents for those whom I love and enjoy doing so. Unlike you, I am always listening to my friends to find out what makes them get giddy and/or at peace with the world. Maybe I should be listening more for how they are feeling but I have such a diverse array of friends that sometimes it is difficult to figure out how they all work, figuratively speaking. Rather than listen hard to what my friends are feeling (because Lord knows that with some of them, it changes by the minute), I try to listen to the things that are fairly consistent through our conversations. Things like whether they like satin sheets (perhaps because they like indulgent things) or sneakers (perhaps she enjoys the fun colors) or watercolor paints (they are artistic) or whatever. These things are what makes them, them. I know this sounds very materialistic but in this Wal-mart world, I think is one of the ways in which we distinguish ourselves from each other. So bottomline, I would love to work for you, as long as I have a decent budget from which to work. :)

As for the concert and the guy smothering the girl ... At first, I would say yes, I completely agree with you. Even though I am in a relationship, I get nauseated at the sight of some couples' PDAs. Please, there is a time and a place to do such things and in front of me is NOT the time nor the place. Let her dance to her own rhythm!

However, I thought about this some more... As much as I hate to admit this, there are times when I need Joe. Sometimes I feel like I can't do anything and feel worthless and frustrated and tired and yucky and everything. During these times, I just need Joe to hold me and things seem to be better. It is a lot like when I was little and I had a bad day at school and Mom would give me a hug and make me a fried egg sandwich (yes, it is a little weird) and things would be OK. Before Joe, I used to lean on my friends more in times of strife, but now not even a hug from my closest friend can even compare to Joe's arms and chest. I think this is one of the ways I know that Joe is my soulmate--because his being soothes my being. So maybe we should give the concert couple the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe that night, they needed each other.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger ericj. said...

nice post. i like your criticalness (sp?) towards relationships. i am in your shoes right now too :)

oh, i liked number 5 the best:
5. Why limit myself to being dissatisfied by one relationship when I can be dissatisfied by an infinite variety?

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger jenn said...

Excellent link...i need to write those down for when I go back home...i know about 10 old ladies who'll be lined up to ask me why I'm not married and those answers are far superior to the truth!

 
At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Maria,
Okay, yes, this may be backtracking, but..I really don't care and don't think you do either. :)
I too enjoy books. Just being around books - sometimes it doesn't even matter the genre - makes me happy. The smell of books: the old dusty paper, the leather binding, the new ink on the pages...ah, the knowledge and the imagination that hides, waiting for the curious soul to find the courage and crack the intimidating front cover. You know the library in Disney's Beauty and the Beast? Or better yet, the Library Room (I don't think that's the right name) in the British Museum. When I walked into that room, I had to just stand there to soak it all in. (crap, I split the infinitive) The history and knowledge and ...everything. I had to tap down the happy, giddy giggles. But I digress.
I like candles and traveling and history, and I love music.
Among many other things. I think that I started this with the very non-subtle inclination to remind you that my birthday is too coming up - just not as soon.
Te amo!
Oh, and I like the name Mr. You-Smother-Me-Good. It fits some people too well.
Happy upcoming eight-month birthday!
~Paula

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Mary said...

paula, paula, thank you for sending your list to me. i appreciate it MUCHO (especially since your birthday IS so rapidly approaching),

but what's this about my 8-month birthday coming up? you mean my 11th month birthday approaching, oh, tomorrow?? one more month of 24. i may have to blog about that ... yikes.

oldness here i come.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger me said...

I like #5, too. Why limit myself to being dissatisfied by one relationship when I can be dissatisfied by an infinite variety?

it's funny 'cause it's true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home