Monday, June 27, 2005

making a list, checking it twice

this thursday marks one month till my quarter-life birthday. i love birthdays. i love balloons and streamers and cakes and goodie bags and group pictures and birthday dresses and signs up around the house and shaving cream on the kitchen table and presents stacked up on the floor near the couch. i love all that. i love people singing happy birthday and scooting in towards the birthday honoree. i love watching someone made to feel special. when i really love someone, when i really care about a person, there is nothing better in the entire world than to watch them glow, to watch their faces light up and feel like they are the star of the day. there is NOTHING like that.

i was thinking today that if my life should change assumed course, i'll work to buy a bed and breakfast in california or prince edward island. and it'll have so many rooms, but still feel undescribably cozy. and i'll invite all my friends and acquaintances to come and stay for a weekend, a month, a season, a year. it doesn't matter. and i'll throw them the best birthday parties, too. celebrations they will never forget.

for me, the hardest part will be picking presents. i love presents but i stink at getting them. so i will have to hire a present-picking genius to join me at work in the b&b. i wish i had good ideas, but i don't. i wish people would tell me all the things they love in the world. ok, yes, i'm sure my friends have many times said what they love, but my hearing priority is always towards how people are feeling, what they're thinking, etc. somewhere in my head, i misplace those obvious details. i apologize.

have you ever met those people who know all of their friends favorite things? i love those people. i envy their brains and memories. but i need help. i need lists. i need everyone i know to make a list of everything they love (or really don't love) and send it to me. this is no joke. i want to get good at present-giving. please help.

as an example (and only as an example, ok?), i've provided a sample from my list below:

1. i love books about the civil rights era.
2. i love candles.
3. i also really love fireflies and fireworks and anything else that lights up the night.
4. i love live music.
5. i love picnics and wine and bread and cheese (though i've never been on a picnic with wine and bread and cheese).
6. i love stationary and stamps.
7. i like house things from pier 1 and crate and barrel.
8. i really love dinner plates and mugs and glasses.
9. i like butterfingers and 100 grand bars (do those still exist?)
10. i love big presents that are obnoxiously huge.
11. i like chunky bracelets and small necklaces.
12. i really enjoy corn on the cob and freshly cut green beans.
13. i like crew neck sweaters or sweaters where the seem is straight at the shoulder (i look stupid in sweaters where the seam goes from the armpit to the neck - i may very well be the only one but it makes me look ridiculously geeky).
14. lotions are nice, but anything really goopy or too fruity is not for me.
15. i like big nights out where you go from one place to another to another and take your time at each one.
16. i like car rides.
17. i love a good board game.

my roommate kat says this is enough. she says people will think i'm making my birthday list to which i fervently disagreed. i just wonder if my favorite things are pretty generic. so please send me your list. i need to start planning.

7 Comments:

At 6:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm not going to leave a list because you don't know me and would never send me birthday presents, but I just have to tell you it is so weird that you posted this. I was JUST thinking about doing this on my blog yesterday. Seriously. I think I still will, so I just wanted to let you know I might be copying you, but I'm not really copying you since I had the idea, too! So funny. And we have a lot of the same favorites.
Oh, and I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but it's stationEry. Thought you might want to know. If you email me your mailing address, I'll send you a birthday package now that I know what you like. I love sending birthday packages. :)

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Mary said...

i also LOVE grasshopper pie. good call, adam. and any cheesecakes. lactose, schmactose. i'm teaching my tummy to eat normally :P

jennie: so funny! great minds think alike, i suppose. and good call on the E - i'll drill it into my head. lastly, i'm totally game for a bday package!! send me your email and i'll send on my address. woohoo!!!

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger rebstar said...

what a great post!

that is SO funny that jennie commented saying that she was thinking of doing the same thing on her blog--when i read, "have you ever met those people who know all of their friends' favorite things? i love those people..." i screamed YES! JENNIE! :) so i'm not sure why she needs to ask people, because she is THE best gift-giver.

and i bet you are, or soon will be, as well!!! :)

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

jemcclain@yahoo.com

 
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright... here's my list:

-super fine tip colored Sharpies
-banana bread with lots of chocolate chips
-dangly earrings
-country line dancing
-any sort of fun paper/fabric/stationery items
-getting a pedicure
-the dark blue candle at White Barn that smells like men's cologne
-the perfect mixed cd
-someone else's favorite book or suggested read
-orange flavored jello
-belly laughs
-Shag (the movie)
-black and white photography
-surprises (nice ones)
-head and scalp massager
-cookie dough

Oh, and my 7 month birthday is right around the corner...
just jokes!

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger allan said...

Okay, let me clear something up. Mary is one of the best gift givers ever…. (even if it takes her a little time to get it together), for example, this gift is one of my top 3 gifts ever; I got a beautiful hand made cigar box from Cuba with a mix of fine exotic cigars. I also got a Communist cigarette lighter from China that plays the Chinese Communist theme song when the flame lights up. Seriously, how awesome is that? I am also most likely getting my ticket to see Coldplay this summer for free, for my half birthday/Christmas in July gift! (hint, hint)

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Dan said...

I also love "picnics and wine and bread and cheese." I got to have a couple last week up in Sweden and one this week in a villa right outside of Rome. So much fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home