Monday, August 29, 2005

"Tuff Enuff" or "I tripped over a rusty fence in a moment of carelessness"

Argh. I was so ready for a good run this afternoon. Came home, changed, and took off west into the setting sun on Grace. Katherine and I made it about .1 miles before I tripped on a rusty fence lying on the sidewalk.

One of three construction guys doing some yard work a 1/2 block down the street came over to check on me. They had tape up on a sidewalk where they had just put down some new concrete, but failed to consider what possible consequences an upwardly curved rusty fence laying in the sidewalk could provide.

Katherine hadn't seen it either and was already moving off to the right to avoid the taped sidewalk. I wasn't so fortunate. My knee was scraped pretty badly and I'm beginning to bruise all along my knee cap. My shoulder is scraped as well and I had rust up and down my arm.

Fortunately for me, Katherine is also Florence Nightingale, so she helped me home, poured a bit of peroxide on my knee (to the point of bubbling - gross), and helped bandage me. I am very grateful.

I can't remember the last time I fell down and took some serious scrapes. I don't like it; it hurts, of course. But honestly, when my body has to work to recover, I feel like praising God. The human body is incredible. Really, falling down makes you so aware of things you take for granted.

And that's all. I'm off to go freeze my knee a bit more and spread another thick layer of Neosporin on my shoulder. And then I'm gonna have a G.I. Jane moment in front of the mirror. Let's be honest, they may not be attractive, but scars do make you look tough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home