Monday, August 08, 2005

August is Blogging Hiatus Month

I swear. It's true. The vast majority of my blogging friends have disappeared. So whilst everyone is on vacation (or - gasp! - raptured? Shoot, must check traffic reports about recently unmanned vehicles), I'll divulge a bit ...

1. As a whole, guys are funnier than girls. *sigh* It's a hard admission to make, but after years of protesting otherwise, I've come to this perceived truth. I'm not saying there aren't funny women out there - my mother, Starra, and Jenn all come to mind - but it's my experience that I actually writhe in pain laughing more when I'm with men than not.

2. Perhaps I should have listed this first ... I've been criticized for believing women to be a superior species. My acknowledgment of the above revelation forces me to concede that perhaps men and women are equal.

3. It should come as no surprise then that I've also been called a feminazi.

4. I don't know what triggered it, but since high school, I've wanted to marry a Jew for Jesus.

5. I've been in love once in my life. The real kind. It didn't work out so I built up a big 'ol wall around my heart. I spent the last year trying to take it down. But I am still not so sure if I am any good at being in love anymore.

6. I once told an old HS boyfriend that I broke up with him because of God (which was partially true), but it was really mostly because I hated his car.

7. I've had seven major crushes in my life. The first one - in 8th grade - was on a guy named Mike who sat next to me during science class. He won me over by singing Pearl Jam songs and touching my arm with his pencil while he "zambonied" the table. Ahhh, if only I were still so easily impressed.

8. Though I often bemoan the state of my Gutus Maximus (honestly, it sounds better than saying "flabby belly"), I secretly think it is one of my best features. Thanks are due to my freshman year roommate, Val, who constantly rubbed her tummy and told me that a round belly was not only beautifully feminine, but also would keep my ovaries warm and ready till I chose to conceive.

9. When I think of heaven, I think of two things: One, being welcomed into a house completely furnished and finding in the wardrobe a beautiful white dress that flatters me and fits me flawlessly. Then Jesus and I run through tall grasses like we were in Prince Edward Island, reliving scenes from Anne of Green Gables. And two, planning an enormously large and extravagant party with the perfect lighting, music and food. Jesus and I lean on the balcony railing, and feel our hearts bursting with joy as we watch all the people laugh, dance, talk, and love each other.

10. Because I don't have my ears pierced, I am often highly-regarded by Mennonite men.

11. When walking down the street with friends, I am often perturbed when we don't "buddy up." At no point on the sidewalk should 4 people be walking in a messy row, more or less shoulder-to-shoulder. This is not okay. Buddy up, people!!

12. Even before I saw Psycho, I had a hard time closing my eyes in the shower. I still pull the curtain back just to make sure ...

13. Speaking of water, I actually had a grave fear of faucets until I was about 11. The reasoning is simple: if Dorothy could kill the Wicked Witch of the West by pouring water on her, who's to say that when you pour water out, she doesn't reappear?? Logic, people. Many thanks to my little sister, Paula, for bravely turning the faucet on and not making fun of me during those years.

14. I want someone to pay me to meet and talk with people at coffee shops and over meals. I would like bonus points for connecting them to other people.

15. I am not a leader; I am a facilitator.

16. I am strong-willed and stubborn. My dad used to say I was a smart-aleck (side note: I googled that word, and found this. I had no idea)

17. According to my memory, things at home were really bad when mom was talking to dad and he said "bologna."

18. My mom is too hard on herself. I often wish she would stop it and just let me love her.

19. One of my favorite things about my parents is when they do the dishes with their arms wrapped around each other. It makes the phrase "gettin' HOT in the kitchen" seem wonderfully romantic.

20. I want to own a Bed and Breakfast north of San Francisco, watch movies on a gigantic screen in the backyard, listen to records, invite everyone to stay for a week, or a month, or a year, and I want to be happy. I also want to be the kind of woman God dreams for me to be; I want this more than anything.

21. I wish someone would prophecy over me. Anytime it happens in public, I always think, "oooh! me next!" but then it hits me that maybe the person can sense that I want it too much or that I feel like it's the christian's version of a crystal ball (and seriously, maybe i'm not supposed to want to know what's gonna happen, but i still have a little desire to want to), and then I get afraid that she'll see some awful, disgusting, horrible thing in me and that's what she'll point out in front of everyone.

22. In the [paraphrased] words of Anne Lamott, "I think too much. I tried to get my mind to take up a hobby like macrame, but it wouldn't listen."

23. I am ending this post because I am going to give myself a facial now (not because I'm going to the gym, like I told everyone).

9 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Blogger Bret said...

With number eleven, for groups with an odd number of people, one person by themselves or a group of three?

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger None Atall said...

Miss Mary, I am here. You make me want to forget my list of things to do and pull something better out of myself today. I think I want to listen a little better. I've been feeling prideful lately and reading your blog makes me want to be less so.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Adam said...

guys may be funnier than girls to you...but you are hilarious to me...

and how long have I been 45 and not noticed? tell me this is your handiwork you clever pimp...

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger erin said...

you are afraid of the faucet? Hum.. i'm sometimes afraid of the shower drain. have you seen the movie, IT?

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

omigosh! The movie IT has wounded (I use that word because - does anyone know how to spell scar but like past-tense? scared? Looks to me too much like scared as in, "I've been frightened")...oh where was I? It wounded me for life! I've never looked at a clown the same since....

 
At 5:21 AM, Blogger Mary said...

bret - group of three. i don't like the idea of someone walking alone.

ericka - i'm sorry i missed meeting you while you were in town! i'll look forward to your next visit to chicago. in the meantime, will keep at reading your blog :)

adam - hee hee. i thought you'd noticed long ago!! how was your weekend in mil-oo-wah-kay?

adam - you're always a good catch. laura and i were so enjoying reading about your love for asian women on your blog. how fun :)

erin & teresa - i would never see IT. it LOOKS evil. i've already seen silver bullet and scream, etc. i have no wishes to add clowns to the mix of things that make me hear things when i'm alone. *shiver*

 
At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an impressive new impression of you I now have in my head. I always knew you and your sisters were brilliant, but wow! G.E. and Sylvania look out! This light bulb glows brighter than a 1000 watt halogen (do they make those?). Again, WOW!

Remember me? Your sis and I caught up on the last 8-9 years that we missed of each other post HS graduation. Yep, we’re gettin’ old (sorry S, I’ll speak for myself). I’M aging, you’re beautiful.

In fact, Mary, your entire family is so beautiful! I’m talking about the kind of beauty that burns so brightly from within that evil cannot stand any closer than 18 miles from y’all. Okay, we’re going to dip shallowly into the sappiness of my emotions here (that seems safe, right? No, not so much!). I promise I’ll keep it short and light, K?: I’ve always been a bit jealous about how spiritually connected your family is and how that breeds love in all aspects of your lives/others lives you come in contact with. I realize jealousy over something like this is Luda. Alright, I feel myself starting a tangent that could waste much space on this page. Instead, I will end with telling you how much I love you and your family. I am so very thankful to be reunited with optimism and love. I am truly blessed to have your sister in my life again.

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Mary said...

hey sarah!! it's so fun to hear from you. my sister and i got to catch up a bit about the reunion - hard to believe 10 years have gone by, i'm sure. but sarah loved getting to see you - long before the reunion, we were talking about how to get in touch with you to make sure you'd be there.

you made my day with all those words. makes me feel really thankful for meaningful relationships and for friendships that last for years. i can't wait till my 10-year now!!

please be in touch and feel welcome to visit anytime you're in chicago, ok? with love!

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger me said...

Miss Mary B, you are such a beautiful, wonderful romantic! I never realize how much I miss people until stuff like this. I miss our college days. Dare I say I even miss Crusade? ha. Well, if it wasn't for Crusade, I wouldn't have met wonderful people like you and mr. go.

btw: when I think of heaven, I think of a black winged bird. Or, at least I do when you put it in those words. = )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home