Friday, November 25, 2005

hibernating dreams

i'm hosting an event tonight, an annual cocktail party, a traditional day-after-thanksgiving, drinks-are-on-us, organic-cocktail-themed, holiday soiree.

but i feel exhausted. i was at the airport again today, the third time in seven days. i don't mean to complain. the truth is i do have fabulous opportunities to travel, including an excursion to russia in the spring; i visit cities so often that i have a favorite spot to grab coffee in each; i rack up united miles that don't cost me a thing rather quickly; and i meet people i can't wait to see again.

still, perhaps it's the season that makes me a little homesick. or maybe it was the teaser of seeing my family for a mere 8 hours yesterday. it could be kenny g's christmas album in the stereo, lulling me to my imagination's well-dreamt idyllic home.

whatever it is, i am wishing to hibernate. wishing for everyone to make it safely to their destinations after leah's wedding tonight. wishing a blizzard would shut me inside a cozy cabin in the woods for a few days. wishing for a fireplace (oh! you have no idea. i promise that will be the first thing i look for in a house if i ever get to choose again) to sit next to with a good book and some coffee and a plate of cookies.

tis the season for dreaming, i suppose.

i'll raise my organic martini to that.

1 Comments:

At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mare,
Sentiment well described. I can imagine your homesickness...and I'm EXTREMELY grateful you were able to come spend Thanksgiving up here. What would family holidays be without you? I don't even want to think about it.
Yesterday, after Thursday's celebration, Leah's lovely wedding on Friday, and hosting Mom, Dad and Paula for breakfast (wow - we have such a wonderful family), Chris and I spent the evening on the couch watching the BBC/A&E Pride and Prejudice series (yes, the WHOLE series) that I had checked out from the library. Watching Jane Austen's work played out onscreen was fun in itself, but having a partner who was surprised to enjoy it along with me was even better. Not an eventful evening - just comfortable and easy and fun. I pray God would provide you some of those sweet curl-up-and-chill-out-and-relax moments for you, too, in the midst of the busy season, and your full life. I'm thankful to be a part of it.
I love you.
Sarah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home