Tuesday, February 27, 2007

a few good things

i'm home sick. and since nobody wants to hear about it, let me instead make a list of a few good things in my life right now:

brett dennen. jon and i took in the show last night at the orpheum. for $7, we took in 2 openers, brett dennen's band, and nearly 4 hours of solid music. i loved it. i bought one cd last night, and downloaded the other one on iTunes today. i highly, highly recommend his soulful folk tunes.

gracious friends. i've been a bit absentee for a while now, and the friends who've allowed me time to get my act together and welcome me back into their lives lovingly have encouraged me greatly.

the end of february. the snow on sunday was fabulous, but i am desperate for sunny days and warm temps and flip-flops.

arrested development, season 1. i think i will recuperate from this sickness well with all of season one's episodes a click away.

making room: recovering hospitality as a christian tradition
. recommended my shane claiborne of "the irresistible revolution," i have found this book so inspiring both for my own life and for my line of work.

a group of friends who invites me to pursue the idea of intentional community living. these discussions are on my mind often, and i am grateful for their insights, thoughts, and planning.

and, of course, i know that including one's significant other may seem silly, but there is not a day when i don't feel grateful to be with someone who cares about me and knows me so well. we can argue and i can be annoying, but jon is really committed to being faithful. that blesses me. and to come over tonight to make me soup and be company when i'm feeling down and out? that's pretty dang awesome.

anyway, back to getting better.

4 Comments:

At 5:56 PM, Blogger Shannon Anderson said...

Bring on the swimsuits and skirts! :)

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger cory said...

brett dennen is great. i sometimes struggle getting into a music performed by someone who appears to be 12-ish, but i think as i continue to age, i will need to get over that.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger abby said...

Sorry you're not feeling well. :-( I heard Brett Dennen on the Paste sample cd and on the radio yesterday and enjoyed the bits I heard. Glad to hear he's worth checking out further. I hope you recover quickly!

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Mary said...

one of the things that first struck me about brett is that he's like the conan o'brien of music. huge, awkward looking and red-headed. and what's not to love about someone like that?

the more he performed, the more i felt like, yeah, any guy that's got the face of a 6 year old, with huge shaggy red hair, barefeet and a sports jacket framing his ginormous 6'7" body is a-ok in my book :)

and ugh - i signed up for paste a month ago and nothing! where is my copy? argh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home