Wednesday, November 22, 2006

you've been dumped.

i'm at caribou again this morning, working on emails, beginning the book of the week ("sacred cows make the best burgers"), and reflecting on the couple of meetings i've had this week with new friends.

after the incredibly insightful and helpful meeting yesterday with monica whose job more or less birthed mine, i made plans to meet her daughter ("you two are just so much alike!" monica exclaimed between discussions of job responsibilities and growing pains. "it's like i'm having lunch with someone i've known forever!").

andrea is 24, a wife, bethel grad, church planter, and marriage and family therapy grad student. in comparison, i am 26, single, uw grad, church worker, and always considering some form of graduate study.

i wasn't expecting to meet with her today. but her mom was so excited to put us in touch that she made sure to call andrea before i left her office yesterday afternoon and set up a time for the two of us to get together. her mom is definitely the ultimate people-connector. i appreciate that. i even enjoy the fact that it's a bit awkward to have such a random meeting, because it's a sink or swim moment. and i love to choose the swim.

we talked a lot about church planting and church growth and what makes people feel welcome. we talked about our generation and how we feel about church in general. we talked about music and welcome and community. we talked about our fear of megachurches, of what our role is in allowing sunday services to become just a time of happy smiles and networking. maybe it's only the two of us, but i regularly fight the urge to shudder when i see too many happy people.

i think i'm afraid it's fake. or i'm afraid that we shy from being honest about who we are and the things we're struggling with. i also know that i am the queen of social expectations and that it would be frustrating to me, too, if people just moped about when the littlest thing bothered them.

i've been living in this place of tension for quite a while lately. how can we be happy when people are being brutally murdered across the world in wars, famines, preventable diseases? and how can we depressed when there is a Living Hope? how is it possible to live hopefully among the mess of our world?

i feel like someone's thrown me a baseball made of glue. bear with me on this ... i'm just typing this out as it comes to me .... when i try to pull my hands apart, the glue stretches out like an accordian. here's my dilemma ... which hand should i scrape the glue from first: the side representing pain and brokenness or the side representing joy and hope? so i bring my hands together again to use one hand's fingers to scrape the other, but when my hands near each other, the glue is thicker and now there's no distinction between the pain and brokenness and joy and hope.

but now, i see hands together symbolizes prayer. is that it? i'll have to consider this image for awhile.

if i'm honest, i don't really want to pray. i want to scrape the glue off myself. i want to figure out the brokenness and pain and joy and hope. and praying, i feel, requires too much patience. how can i pray when things are happening so quickly? how can i retreat into silence and solitude when there's so much to be done?

and why am i so dependent on ME?

okay, okay. my apologies. i know i've just dumped my brain on you, my unwilling reader. apologies all around. ignore my immature thoughts. i'll work on something light hearted or deeply depressing for next time. unless, in the meantime, i figure out how to write about both at once.

adieu.

4 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey. I should be slower to reply. I take up space in the comment section... Me fal (forgive me - in Albanian) It made me laugh about either writing something light hearted or deeply depressing. Goodness, its really the state of the world. Beauty and sorrow, thunder and rainbows.

Waterdeep have a song and it says "tell me a story that will make me feel something farflung but something still real. Something that's human but not depraved, somebody in danger - but somebody still saved." I liked that. I reckon thats bringing Jesus into the picture of real life. I think Jesus and his love that we only know a bit of - really can turn things around. And still people are suffering, and the call is constant and strong to shine as lights in this world.

I think prayer can change the world. In my house growing up (wherever my home would be - cause we moved so many times) there was a little rectangular teal coloured plaque with simple engraved white letters saying "prayer changes things" I think that image must have engraved itself on my soul! I realised yesterday too - that every word that God has spoken in the Bible - He has proved it to be true - in His word. When Isaiah said about going through the waters they wont overwhelm or through the fire - it wont burn. The Lord took the people through the Red Sea and the Jordan, and Daniels friends didn't even get burned in the firey furnace. I really believe that everything spoken by God is proved also by Him.

If Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life - I don't know why we don't sit more often with Him and talk through the world with Him.

I have a hundred questions without answers. My heart longs for change and for goodness - and I think I don't do barely anything to bring light to the darkness. I don't know how anything can change for the good - excpet in Jesus. I wish we could all meet together with one heart and seek God. And then there is the whole thing of just living the normal day to day life - with food and fun and friends and family. God is the one who brings streams in the desert and a way through the wilderness. I think you're right about the sticky baseball and the predicament of the hands. We do need to pray.

There are thousands more words to write on these thoughts...

We will understand one day. I was so encouraged by a picture that someone told me. A friends of theirs had died - and he had served God well for the love of Jesus and the love of others. In the picture - she saw him sitting on a big stone facing and listening to Jesus. Her friend was laughing with delight and amazement and wonder on his face - as if to say "oh - so that's what it was all for, or all about!" It encourgaed me that oneday it'll make sense and there's something ahead to take joy in - not just for self - but as far as I believe and can tell - for the healing of the nations.

What is there for us to do next? I think you've hit the nail on the head! Find ourselves emptied of all else but a desire to meet with Jesus and tell him the inner thoughts of the heart, and listen to what he says and find at work in ourselves the work of his holy spirit.

Yup - I should have used my own blogspace for this one... ciao x (Isaiah 42:16)

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Henrietta said...

Hi Mary, I don't have anything too profound to share I'm afraid, I am not so easy a writer as you and Beth. But through Beth I found your blog and now it's now one of my favourites (and your boyfriends' is now on my boyfriend's list! he liked it :-) I've referred to your blog in my latest entry: http://thehenuk.blogspot.com/

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Mary said...

beth my friend, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. i've had a rough day today, and your words have made me feel both understood and encouraged. you are picking up my day. thank you.

henrietta, thanks for your nice words! i'll log on to your blog and see what's happening in japan more frequently now :) also, what is your boyfriend's site? i'll pass that on to jon as well. xoxo

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Henrietta said...

Jon may or may not like it!
it's definately more boy-ie than girl-ie though, as blogs go! :-)

http://blog.simon-cozens.org/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home