Thursday, February 15, 2007

Ode to Shelly & Mark

I've known Shelly since we were in middle school.
She wouldn't let me read her horoscope out of Teen People;
she wasn't interested, she said. And she didn't believe in those things.
I thought that was strange.
But I was friends with her anyway.
Things are just like that in middle school.
In high school, Shelly came to camp with me.
She was the only Christian I knew and the only one I knew who'd be willing to suffer through an awful week of youth group activities and maybe enjoy it. Maybe help it not be so bad.
That week changed my life.
And Shelly became my best friend.
We did high school together.
We took car rides in her Bronco and talked about boys we liked.
We struggled through junior year prom season together.
(Those memories are still so vivid)
We dominated Sinkler's english class with Lance & Cullen.
We talked about God.
We discussed friendship and sisterhood.
We lounged on beach chairs in Shelly's driveway.
And even though she was never so sure about my high school boyfriend,
she still empathized with me and encouraged me when we broke up.
After graduation, it was a tearful goodbye.
I remember one night in college,
on the floor of my freshman year dorm,
down on my knees in front of the mirror,
crying because my heart hurt so badly to be far from her.
Nine years later.
Shelly and I have seen each other through
moves,
jobs,
apartments,
boyfriends,
boys we just call friends,
deaths of friends,
struggles with God,
anger,
joy,
impatience,
and lots and lots of love.
And then a big love:
Mark.
Mark really loves Shelly.
Shelly really loves Mark.
And this Saturday, I get the privilege of standing beside her
supporting her
encouraging her
and witnessing a covenant between my best friend and her big love.
This is so cool.
God bless you both.
(and let's go camping this summer, ok?)

5 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Lovely post. Congrats to them!

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a fun thing to read while i am on my honeymoon! hello from australia! i love you mary. thank you for your love and support during my big wedding day. it meant the world to me. and i can't wait to stand up next to you during yours. :)

i'll call you when i get home!!! or maybe from the beach at some point!

again, thank you for such a meaningful ode - it was a surprise and joy to read it when i checked today.
shell

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

hey mary! so, on a side note. it appears that i've somehow managed to delete my blogger account and thereby also my blog shortly after I updated to the new google/blogger one....so when you go to my blog now it shows up as "blogger not found" currently I'm freaking out because I didn't have a backup of any of my posts. but i just wanted to let you know that i'll probably be more than just a "slacker" for a while until I figure this out.

I'll still be reading yours though!

Teresa
(freaking out and extremely perturbed with blogger)

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Tvick - I don't know if you will read this -- but switch to wordpress! much more user-friendly and doesn't have nearly as many issues as blogger, in my experience anyway.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger beth smith said...

its really cool to read about good friends. you sound like a great friend that has great friendships. i had a best friend in west africa from when I was 10 years old - her name was holly - she was from the states - when we were still kids she gave me this really cool framed poem - with a photo of us - and one part said something like... "the best in me and the best in you hailed each other because we knew that always and always since time began - our being friends was part of Gods plan." certainly sounds like that way with you and shelly xx
love, beth
holly has been my longest ever known friend - for 20 years now!! maybe i'll write a blog about holly one day... bye :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home