Thursday, September 01, 2005

List-Making

Some things I love.

Concerts. Tori Amos at Millennium Park, Over the Rhine at Old Town School of Folk Music, Coldplay at Alpine Valley, Ben Folds at Ravinia, it doesn't matter. I love live music: watching, listening, feeling alongside incredibly gifted musicians who love what they do.

Dreams. Last night, I dreamt that my coworker Miguel (who is actually a great dancer in real life) and I were in some "So you think you can dance" competition doing the tango. In my dream, I had a secret move that I was going to wow everyone with, but a former colleague, Stephanie (who had evidently grown 12" for my dream - "it makes sense," my colleague Anne said, "since she moved to Texas and you've always joked with her that everything is bigger there") told me that everyone knew I had a secret move coming so they were preparing for it. I realized I had to really wow them. so Miguel and I were practicing the tango and at some point, he didn't give me my dancer's space, so I said, "you're too close," which, as it turns out, I actually woke myself up saying, noting when I came to, that I was pushing myself away from Missy, a friend who was crashing at our place for the night, since we had fallen towards each other at the middle of the bed at some point during the night. ahhh, I love dreams. I love how colorful they can be. Which reminds me ...

Autumn. My friend Mark told me that he dreams more in the fall and winter when he pulls the covers tighter around him to stay warm. It's been chilly the past few days, so I'm affirming his belief, and am glad that autumn has brought colorful dreams (and run-on sentences. but c'mon, aren't dreams usually like weird, run-on sentences?).

Hosting. When I was about 11 or 12, I got this Mary Engelbreit desk calendar. As I remember it, Mary wrote little hints of "housekeeping" on each page and the one that I fell in love with, and I think started me on my love for hosting, mentioned putting out a pitcher of water with lemons and a few glasses on a tray in the guests room. She wrote, "Everyday, I bring fresh water and a new vase of flowers on a tray for my guests." And that just seemed so utterly delightful. It's so easy to host people. So the house is messy, so the towels don't match. There's just something wonderful in trying to make people feel loved at my house.

Remembering. I'd say probably 2-3 times a week, I read a page in an old journal. It amazes me that my relatively uncomplicated life is so complicated. And then to think of all the stories of the billions of people who live, have lived, have yet to live? Wow. Remembering makes my life seem both beautiful and minute.

Dove dark chocolates. I admit, Esther Price's dark chocolate turtles are the true gold here, but Dove dark chocolates at work make me laugh. I can't explain why.

People who cook. For a year in college, I considered myself a pretty decent cook, but I've since lost it. So now, when people invite me to dinner or cook at my own house, I feel so excited. Seriously, there are some incredible cooks out there. I have so much awe for their talents.

Jesus. Plainly put, I wouldn't want life without him. It would be nowhere near as memorable.

Winter. I admit, summer and fall are my favorite months, but I miss writing. I miss challenging myself to write good stuff. And I write better in the winter. It's when I get a chance to think deep, hibernating, roast-your-ideas-over-a-fire thoughts. Mmm, getting chilly just thinking of it ...

5 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, Blogger erin said...

i'm still clinging to the summer.

 
At 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sad to see the warm weather go... but my excitement over autumn and winter is far greater. Bring it! I love hearing what you love.
-Kat

 
At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite trick is to put Andes mints on the pillows for my guests. :)
I agree with Kat - I love hearing what you love. It's contagious.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Jon said...

Really Mary as the queen of blogdom I think it is time for a little something for the townsfolk.

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger Mary said...

ok ok, i'm working on it ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home