Tuesday, November 29, 2005

This Doesn't Mean I Don't Have Dreams

I picked up Richard Russo's Pulitzer Prize winning novel, Empire Falls, a few months ago and have finally made the effort to read it. This morning on the bus, I read a bit that has provoked my thoughts all morning.
Down below, the Fairhaven and Empire Falls players were trotting back onto the field, halftime over. Janine did her best to act interested and upbeat, yet she couldn't help thinking how soon these limber cheerleaders, now doing back flips, would be married and then pregnant by these same boys or others like them a town or two away. First the panic that maybe they'd have to go through it alone, then the quick marriage to prevent that grim fate, followed by relentless house and car payments and doctors' bills and all the rest. The joy they took in this rough sport would gradually mature. They'd gravitate to bars like her mother's to get away from these same girls and then the children neither they nor their wives would be clever and independent enough to prevent. There would be the sports channel on the tavern's wide-screen tv and plenty of beer, and for a while they'd talk about playing again, but when they did play, they'd injure themselves and before long their injuries would become "conditions," and that would be that. Their jobs, their marriages, their kids, their lives - all of it a grind. Once a year, feeling rambunctious, they'd paint their faces, pile into one of their wives' minivans and, even though it cost too much, head south to take in a Patriots game, if the team didn't finally relocate somewhere to the south where all the decent jobs had gone. After the game, half drunk, they'd head home again because nobody had the money to stay overnight. Home to Empire Falls, if such a place still existed.

In their brief absence a few of the more adventurous of desperate wives would seize the opportunity to hire a sitter and meet another of these boy-men, permanent whiskey-dicks, most of them, out at the Lamplighter Motor Court for a little taste of the road not taken, only to discover that it was pretty much the same shabby, two-lane blacktop they'd been traveling all along, just an unfamiliar stretch of it that nonetheless led to pretty much the same destination anyhow.
I know the sentiment expressed in Russo's book isn't limited to fictional characters. My friend Henry recently wrote a note to a few of us sharing a similar attitude: "If everything goes according to plan, I will be moving back after law school and find some overpriced apartment downtown, pay off my loans in 60 years, make a little money, or in the alternative marry wealthy, settle down, have kids, send them to school, retire, then die. So far I can't complain."

According to plan. I live most of my life according to plan. When I was 18, I mapped out my life according to what seemed relatively unselfish, or at the very least, didn't seem to ask much. I'd meet the man I'd marry at 23. Date him for 3 years until our wedding at age 26. Have my first child at 29 and my second at 31. I'd then consider adopting up to 10 more.

I didn't really plan out what would happen past that; I just vaguely made out still shots of football games in the backyard of my Nebraskan summer home, shucking corn on the patio and listening to the chirps of crickets and cicadas on warm nights. Of making aluminum foil crowns with gumdrop gems and setting up treasure hunts around the house on rainy days. Of dancing in the kitchen with my husband while the kids napped. Of writing a story of growing up that would make Lake Minnetonka again as famous as Prince once made it in Purple Rain.

As I fell in love with God, I learned that MY life plan was no where near as wonderful as His. And for awhile, I encountered no obstacle in pursuing Him. God could take me anywhere, anytime. Send me to China, God! Make me single forever! I don't care! You can do anything!

Now at 25, my old plan has appeared again to fight for consideration, afraid that God has nothing indeed for me specifically, and that perhaps it would be better for me to reach into the back files and rexamine my earlier strategic life plan.

Argh. Can someone please tell me why I am so easily hung up on how things LOOK? I am annoying the hell out of myself. Do I really believe that life would be so much better if I could realize every single fantasy snapshot I've ever taken? And HOW would life be so much better? Because it would be easier? Richer? Safer? Happier? And is that what I want at the end of the day anyway?

After 80 years of life - if I'm lucky - I'll get to say I pursued happiness? Really? Is that really what I want?

No, that sits uneasy with me.

Here's what I want: an undivided heart. And when I reexamine MY plan in light of that, I realize that the two cannot mutually exist. I feel I'm sitting at my desk with this piece of paper in my hand, all its ideal dates and fruitless daydreams, wishing God would just come in and snatch it from me. Oh, but I have to pitch it myself.

Oh.

9 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate to that. The thing that popped into my head on reading your articulated frustration about pursuing happiness, and what the heck that's supposed to look like, was this: "My purpose is to know, love and serve God in this life, and to be happy with Him in the next." When we attended the Justice Forum a few weeks ago, during one of our breakout sessions, a nun in attendance shared the above statement from the catechism. We had been discussing the self-serving driving force of young Americans. Her statement struck both Chris and me, and God has continued to bring it to mind since then. What a contrast to all the messages I receive daily to a)do whatever it takes to please myself; b)trust God to do whatever it takes to please me; or c)to expect great suffering and no happiness if I'm ever going to be close to being called a friend of God. If I, and if we as followers of Christ really believed that nun's simple statement, and lived by it, I'm sure I would live differently.
Reading your blog is another opportunity for me to remember to check my "personal purpose" - i.e. what am I really living for? - and align it with what GOD calls me to live for (which, after all, never was "happiness" in and of itself, was it?)
love you. Thanks for posting this.

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger Mary said...

sare, i love that nun's comment. thanks for sharing what you did. you are a good sister.

and josh, amen. thanks for throwing a little ecclesiastes in there too (it's my favorite book).
and as an aside, happy belated birthday! (i checked out your blog, too) :)

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger cory said...

i just want to let you know that i am from that town. i mean, man, i can picture the little league field on which i grew up playing...as well as the impregnated girls and unrealized dreams of so many of my friends and acquaintances. oh, and your commentary about, well, the meaning of life...very well stated & it totally resonates with me as well. i mean, i really think these "good jobs" that we've all worked so hard to secure, can sometimes serve more as weights that prevent us from really living. i mean, if we had next to nothing, we really wouldn't have much to lose, right? so what would we be afraid of? but then there is the other side of me that says we are to be content in all circumstances, whether rich or poor, healthy or sick, etc. if you figure this one out...

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Laura said...

This is a great post Mary, it's so well stated, especially for a topic so elusive and murky. Maybe I am cynical to say that finding God's will for one's life is a murky and elusive topic, but hell, we already know I am cynical.

Please feel free to disagree fellow commentators, I know most of you will, but in my desperate longing to know what God wanted for me (we'll say, back two years especially), and in my searching for that in every feeling, experience, "sign" and scripture passage, I just found myself more confused. Should I be a missionary? Should I go back to school? Should I should I what does God want for me... it all turned into a cacophony of Christian cliches that I couldn't discern.

So, I feel I have to defend the desires of our heart. If we are God's children and walking with Him, isn't there something to say for our thoughts becoming more like His and our wills wanting things that God would smile at? I think we can all see when we are doing things that don't please God, but I think we are also capable of finding those things that God would love us to do from inside our "own" desires and thoughts. He made us!

I don't know if this is making sense, and I certainly am not living the life I dreamed of as a young girl, but unlike Mary, I didn't have a set of snapshots about my future life, good, bad or indifferent. But I think those snapshots are something beautiful. What is wrong with dancing in the kitchen with your husband? Your Empire Falls passage is beautiful and sad, but the sadness there is the attitude and outlook people take towards that sort of life, it doesn't have to be that way.

I don't know, I've stepped off my train of thoughts. Please disagree, agree or comment.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Jon said...

I really like this entry. One of the things that drives me is wanting a life worth living. And yet I am not sure what that means. I want to be part of something that has an eternal impact. I want to live a life the life that God wants me to live but I rarely know what that means. The picture from Empire Falls seems like a mini version of hell. It is like the taste the meaning, comfort and purpose I so desire but in actuality is merely emptiness painted over.

I too want that undivided heart and I resonate with becoming frustrated with myself as I am not who I want to be nor do I want what I know I should.

I want to learn to trust my life to God and obedience to what is revealed in the Bible but do I? I feel at one with Paul in my frustration in doing what I do not want to do and not doing what I most desire to do. (I am not sure if that is exactly how it goes but…)

Thanks for helping me examine my own desires and dreams.

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like what laura said here about our desires matching up with what God desires for you. It is okay to dream about marrying and raising a family God created us to have these desires, this is part of His plan. And just because it hasn't happened for you yet doesn't mean that it isn't in His plan for you. I think that it is just way too easy for us to decide that because something hasn't happend when we say it should that it's not God's plan for us. Don't be so quick to say that because it is something you want then it must not be something that God wants.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Mary said...

hmmm ... i guess it would help to clarify what i mean by desires, or maybe what we all mean by desires.

cause laura, i DEFINITELY think that god loves for us to pursue our dreams. i don't think he's the grinch god at all.

i guess it's just i know that there are things in my heart that i WANT that i don't think are necessarily in line with what god would want for me. stuff that i feel the holy spirit particularly convicting me on.

cause there are plenty of other things i desire that i feel god going, "yea! right on!"

i love when he does that.

and, anon, funny that you mention marriage because well, either, a) i get married or b) i don't and c) i honestly kind of feel like i'm happy either way. god is good to me; that's something i stand firm on.

 
At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and, anon, funny that you mention marriage because well, either, a) i get married or b) i don't and c) i honestly kind of feel like i'm happy either way. god is good to me; that's something i stand firm on.
mary you are the one that mentioned marriage here:
According to plan. I live most of my life according to plan. When I was 18, I mapped out my life according to what seemed relatively unselfish, or at the very least, didn't seem to ask much. I'd meet the man I'd marry at 23. Date him for 3 years until our wedding at age 26. Have my first child at 29 and my second at 31. I'd then consider adopting up to 10 more.

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger Mary said...

oh, oh! i see ....

i was referencing marriage as the easiest example of a "plan" i made when i was 16/17.

sorry if i seemed defensive. i think we must have our wires crossed :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home