Thursday, June 08, 2006

oh! to be a free spirit!

it could have been the hour i spent working from home this morning, waking up slowly, sun pouring in on my well-rested body. it could have been the little online conversation i shared across the pond avec jared le francais before noon. it could have been the lunch i had with byron this afternoon, resting against those same concrete steps and talking about risks and danger and joy in decision-making. or it could have been the intimate hug eric gave me in the hallway, after i told him my summer plans included leaving my job and then doing god-knows-what. "that is the best news i've heard all day," he said. "how old are you?" 25, i said. "i was 25 when i left here, too." he smiled BIG. "really, i'm so excited for you. call me anytime you want."

it really doesn't matter. it's just that i feel propelled. i'm feeling sent. what a beautiful thing.

i feel so excited about taking off into the unknown. no, i don't really WANT to work again. i don't really want to be bound by anything. what i want is to sip a cappuccino out on a sidewalk cafe, light a cigarette (i'm not sure yet if i'd smoke it. i have to work up the courage for that), and scribble down my observations of the world around me, absorbing the environment, able to watch people closely because my gaze is shielded under the brim of my wide, warm-peach-colored hat.

oh! to be a free spirit!

god bless the day.

8 Comments:

At 7:03 PM, Blogger abby said...

Sounds good Mary. Though I'd have to work up the courage just to light the cigarette. Besides that, it's how I hope to spend a bunch of my summer. Only 4 hours, 35 minutes to go!

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Laura said...

5 hours and off to chicago and can't wait!

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Mary said...

i love chicago. i'd definitely put it in the world's top 5 best cities. i really love it.

still, i know it's time to leave. now my only question is: where to? i'm having second thoughts about madison. i have no house, which won't allow me to get a car, which means i'm stuck. and to go from having a HUGE city at your fingertips to having a smaller one almost inaccessible is soul-crushing a bit to me.

i'm letting europe and africa in the mix now. maybe aregentina again.

i wish i knew what was next. i wish had some clue from the universe. it's just muddy. i kind of just feel like asking god to destin me for something!!

maybe this is just an emotional day. yeah, maybe that's all this is.

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will this free spirit have a mailing address? Because I just might need to send her a big fat thank-you note.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Lord Milton Pepperbottom III said...

how about you go wherever whenever... http://www.couchsurfing.com/



and buy a camera.



or, spend 150 bucks on a tent and hitchhike for a while... can get boring... 'course, it's more of something to experience than of something to be done... if you know what i mean.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Mary said...

jev, have you ever really done that couch surfing thing? crazy. it actually looks pretty cool ...

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Lord Milton Pepperbottom III said...

yeah, i have! it's great! the stories you get are awesome!

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Lord Milton Pepperbottom III said...

oh yeah, this is jev...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home