Wednesday, February 09, 2005

the business plan

it is 12:34 and i really don't have time to write. but i've been "on" since 7 a.m. this morning, meeting with 6 senior students to assemble care packages for our college age alumni. i am running dry in my energy well. seriously, i am typing with my head leaning against this enormous bottle of warm gatorade. it is my lunch. but until i have enough energy to run upstairs to the cafeteria to get some ice, i am using it as a head prop. it works.

i like being go-go-go for awhile. it works in my binge lifestyle. of course, i think i'd still be working at this moment if i could take monday off. but since monday is certainly not a day off and will probably be just as busy as any day this week, i am allowing myself a much needed 5 minute break.

this lifestyle continues to convince me more than ever that when i own my own company - and i don't care what it is at this point ... well, no, i do, but it will take too much energy to discuss ideas right now - we will only work three days a week and have two hours for lunch. i don't care if we don't accomplish a lot according to industry standards. i mean, who developed industry standards? who decided 60 hours a week was normal? or even 40 for that matter? but fine, if you want to keep 40 hours, i say 32 can be solely used for work, but 8 should be mandatory community service hours. ooh, yes, i like that. so i take back my original plan. my company will work 4 days a week, one of those days being community service day.

so how do i get started? i suppose i could start biking to work and save the $3.50 a day it costs me on the el. how much is that a year? $910. and if i quit having a latte three days a week, that's an extra $468. wow, $1378.

hmm, if you'll excuse me, i'm going to go ask for a raise.

10 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Maria,
I like the first plan. However, I could still work with the second one as well. How do you feel about hiring family? Yes? Please? Once I get my Master's I could help with...getting all the info where it's supposed to be...or something like that.
I'll just let you think about it. Je t'aime!
~Peabody

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Mary said...

of course i'll hire family. as long as you promise to work for caramels ... i don't have very much money to pay you a salary. but you're family, right? we stick together through thick and thin ... and caramels?

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Erik said...

Thanks for the "encouraging" words that I don't update my blog enough. Well, just wanted to tell you I have posted something else so don't delete to my blog just yet. I will try to post more things so that I don't fall from your list of links. :)

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger allan said...

I like the plan! I think Christians should intentionally work less hours than everyone else. No, not because we are slackers but because we would help focus people on what is really important and what is not. Who couldn't do with more discretionary time in their lives to play with the kids in the street, help out in the community and just a day to do laundry. Geesh!
Check this out: Simpler Living, Compassionate Life: A Christian Perspective -- by Michael Schut (I have this if you are interested)

Mary, please, please, please slow down.

 
At 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yuppers, I would work for some caramels...but maybe you could mix it up a little? Caramel hershey kisses? Caramel and chocolate bars? Oh! caramel, chocolate, and those crunchy things in the Crunch bars!
It seems as though I need to stop working on my own stuff so much, my brain seems a little shot.
Te amo!
~Peabody

 
At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just move to europe.

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good call ("move to Europe"). In England, they've got 4-8 weeks (can't remember which) REQUIRED VACATION every year. WHY aren't more of us LIVING THERE? HELLO? And in Spain, Time does NOT equal Money. Time equals RELATIONSHIPS. That's why everybody's always at least an hour late for everything - because they were having valuable, meaningful conversations with PEOPLE, not wasting their lives working 60, 80 hours a week, evaluating their life's worth based on the amount in their bank account or the title on their almighty resume! Argh! The inhumanity! When will it end?!

Okay, so I only work like 30, 35 hours a week. But still...!
Sarah

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Mary said...

for real. i think i may move to europe at some point in my life. it's much cooler to be single and living in europe than it is to be single and living in the states. i'll be a very romanticized version of myself here, living in europe, taking long strolls around the cobblestone pathways of old cities and towns, munching on baguettes and cheese, drinking cappuccinos and wine throughout the day, and writing one of what i'm sure will be many great novels.

okay, i'm packing my bags.

 
At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay Maria,
If you're moving to Europe, I have one request. I am collapseable and could take up very little room. Might there be room for me in the suitcase?
~paula

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Mary said...

i like what you said, david:

"we'd just have to accept a simpler lifestyle, which would probably be a relief."

i think those words are worth serious contemplation ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home