Monday, March 06, 2006

homework

without going into the details, today finds me working from home. which i love. and which i wish i could do more often. don't get me wrong - i love working with my peers and stopping to take breaks with them, discussing the successes and stories of events from the night before, but there's something about the freedom of working in your own environment.

take today for instance. i got up at 6:15 like i normally would, but decided at 6:40 that i wasn't gonna make it in to work. i sat down at the computer and began working at 7:00. i've already been on two conference calls, answered all the emails i got from the weekend and am now updating our calendar of events before heading into major editing work. i feel so accomplished!

and the best part is that i can play my music as loud as i want and get up for a minute and dance around my house to get all my spastic energy out so i can sit down and be productive at the computer.

this is what i'm missing in my office. i think everyone needs to be able to be spastic for at least a few minutes. instead of trying to ignore the urge to flail my arms and legs a little when a good song pops up on my radio, i can dance around freely. i think suppressing that urge is what contributes to the slow death of my soul at work. having an opportunity to get out of my chair and turn up the cure's "close to me" and "why can't i be you?" gets the blood back to my brain and i find myself enjoying work.

ooh. love it.

alright, back to it now. if you need me, i'll be at my computer, typing in rhythm to "lovesong."

1 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would LOVE to work from home too. oh, the freedom. and honestly, i'd get so much done... a girl can dream of becoming a freelance writer someday!
love you, mary. shelly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home