Thursday, March 16, 2006

[there was some russian text here]

no, i can't read that either. but i know it means, "my name is mary" and that must count for something. of course, when i get to russia, if someone asks me what my name is i'll not even understand the question. i suppose i should work on forgetting that newly learned phrase, but it's one of only five that i now know and i'm not ready to part yet with it.

what else do i know?

how are you
thank you
you are welcome
ok

sure, it's a little late to be trying to work on my russian. but i honestly haven't been excited until now. and to tell you the truth, i'm not even quite thrilled now. yes, i know it's st.petersburg, and i'm crazy lucky to be going. but what with this unidentifiable rash on one side of my face and the hematoma that i got yesterday at the dentist's office ("it'll be a little black and blue," she says. "kind of like someone punched you in the face") on the other side of my face, well, i'm not feeling the yippy-i-o adventure spirit overtaking me.

i miss my old skin. i miss washing my face and feeling like it was me. not rashy, not swollen. just me. i'm trying not to worry about it, but you can imagine how it weighs on my shoulders.

i've asked god if he's trying to make 2006 into a year's worth of lessons about vanity. no response. maybe he thinks i'm kidding.

i'm not.

but anyway, the good news is that i got my debit card PIN reset today so that i can actually take out rubbles at a russian ATM, and that the shoes i bought at DSW yesterday are so deliciously adorable and comfortable that i silently squeal with delight everytime i look down, and that i finally finished my march madness bracket today (and gave connecticut the trophy).

more good news will be waking up to find my rash completely gone, my cheek totally unswollen, and an excitement in my heart about traveling in st. petersburg and moscow.

probably won't post till i get back. feel free to keep me, my fellow chaperone, and our 11 kids in your prayers :)

[there was some russian here]

that means "thank you."

2 Comments:

At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maria,

You are an amazing blogger. I just scrolled through a few other friends' blogs. No one is quite so fluid, well-spoken, and fun as you. Well done.

God, please heal my sister. Favor, God. You know what she wants.

peace, sis

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Laura said...

hey Mary - how was Russia... please post about it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home