Wednesday, October 27, 2004

on hold

15 minutes. 15 very obnoxious, jazzy minutes have passed and ATA is still not answering my phone call. it is sucking up my "anytime" minutes. i am fully annoyed.

ok, not really annoyed. i'm actually mostly just hungry. but this still really irks me.

the thing is shelly and i decided to take this trip to ft. lauderdale next week - a little warm weather getaway. and we found a way for her to get a layover in chicago so we could fly down and then back up together. but oh, no - stupid ATA had to go and get all bankrupt on us and now, they've called me to share that they've changed both my flights.

umm, i don't think so.

18 minutes. seriously, if i ran a company, i'd have enough people on hand that there would be no waiting time for people who wanted to lodge a complaint. in fact, i wouldn't run a company so there were complaints to lodge in the FIRST place!

argh. why am I not running the world??

speaking of the world (and getting back to more important issues), i read this article today in sojourners that says 45 million americans are without health insurance. that's a serious issue. but you don't quite understand 45 million until it's really broken down. here's what they said (by the numbers):

37.1 million - the number of african americans in this country
35.9 million - the number of americans age 65 and older
32.2 million - the entire population of canada

that last one really got me. can you imagine an entire country completely uninsured? sick. that's so wrong.

i feel angered by the politicians, frustrated at the lack of justice AND mercy in the world, and annoyed that i've been on the phone for nearly 30 minutes now and haven't heard from a REAL person yet.

ooh, i need to vent. seriously, can't we get some more politicians, some more movers and shakers, some more CEOs, with their heads on straight and their hearts bowed before God? is it too much to ask?

32 minutes. i'm still waiting.

3 Comments:

At 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of confusion:

I was at the Dubliner tonight and this dude kept staring at me. Actually he was staring at my shirt, which read, "Canada: They started a country and nobody came." He's like, "hey man, I don't get your shirt at all." I quipped, "naw, man, it's cool. there's nothing to get. there are plenty of people in canada." He responded, "Ah, well, I'm from Canada." I snickered and walked away, while his disheveled self aimlessly wandered back to his home table to complain to his probably-Canadian friends. Cry me a river if you're from Saskatchewan (sp?) and nobody cares.

Actually, though, Canada does deserve to be commended for their far-reaching health policies. I think everyone there can just walk in, walk out, and not pay a dime for standard issue healthcare. How hot is that?

--pma

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Mary said...

Canada. Ever since Gil pulled Anne's pigtail in episode 1 of Anne of Green Gables, I have loved Canada. Really, Prince Edward Island? Could there BE a more heavenly place?

AND free health insurance for all? Seriously. Plus, they've got Sarah McLachlan and Mike Myers, not to mention Celine Dion and Michael J Fox.

How have I never been? Sick. We'll have to remedy that asap.

 
At 7:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously--Toronto is only nine hours or so from where you are.

"Welcome to Canada, it's the Maple Leaf State, Canada, Oh, Canada. It's great, the people are nice and they speak French, too. If you don't like it, man, you sniff glue."

...

"I want to be where lemmings run into the sea, where the Royal Mounties can arrest me."

...

"Let's go to Canada, let's leave today. Canada, oh, Canada. I see-vu-pley."

--pma, rockin' the five iron reese-roper style

 

Post a Comment

<< Home