Wednesday, February 23, 2005

personal day

i warn you, this may be a book.

after coffee with abby at 7 and breakfast with katie at 8:30, i veered west on north avenue away from the office and called my boss to tell him i'd be taking a personal day.

my eyes are red, my eyelids are heavy, and my body feels weak. if you've been reading my blog for any amount of time, you know this isn't abnormal. my friend wendy told me once that god will store up your tears in heaven and give you your own body of water when you get there. subconsciously, i think my spirit wants an ocean.

i like being home today. i like getting up early and having coffee with a good friend, meeting another for breakfast and then heading home to contemplate our conversations. i like walking back from the el in the sunshine, like watching the shop owners open their boutiques for the day, like listening to the construction men yell to each other on top of the roof of the house next door. and then i like to sit down and write. makes me wish i could be like anne lammot. i'd finally let my hair grow dreads, i'd try to cook something that is impossible for someone like me to make, and then i'd sit down to write my one great novel that indeed would never become anything except a journal of too much information for my embarrassed teenage children when their friends discover it while searching for frisbees in the garage. alas ... it changes nothing that i still wish to write.

i've written 10 pages in my journal in the past two days. it's been wonderful. each time i've put my pen down, i feel like, yes, THIS is what i can give god. it's the best part of writing. but for as cathartic as it is, it hasn't made me whole. i suppose i didn't expect it to. but i wanted that feeling that artists get when they finally complete a painting. like a big sigh of relief. a feeling of mission accomplished. a feeling of "what's next?" instead, the more i write, the more brokenness i find. and the more brokenness i find, the more i see the depth of my own complexity. and the deeper it goes, the more i fear picking up the pen again.

but this is a good thing. after a few fretful finger lunges, my soul inevitably rises to the challenge; i feel that enough.

you know, sometimes you think back to what you dreamed you'd be like in 5 years, 5 years ago. when i was 19, i didn't expect my life to be this. now, my mind is consumed with plans for safety and security, with desires for people-pleasing and politesse, with hopes to simply survive. and what's worse, i found myself calling god a liar in church on sunday. the second my mind yelled it, my heart broke.

am i this bitter? this fearful of god? this unbelieving? or worse yet, have i created a god in my own image?

*sigh* i have to stop here, though i want to write so much more! i want to explain it, want to really share, but this is a blog. people will read this, thank god it's not them (it's true, i think one of my spritiual gifts is reverse encouragement) and move on. this is a good thing. you can't stay in one place for too long. god doesn't let me wallow in my own brokenness even. he lets me feel how it hurts and then i see better how the world hurts. it's my own complexity that stirs me to see more than myself. it makes no sense, i know, and i can't untangle it properly. but it's when i'm here, in the mess, in the gritty dirtiness of my own stink, that my senses are most acutely aware that god is moving everywhere.

now, don't get me wrong, i'm sure god will spend lots of time with me on all this stuff in my own heart. i'm learning to pray again, and i have the most incredible friends who see in me things i don't, can't or refuse to see in my own life and speak truth to it. i have a lot to be thankful for. i forget that.


well the cd i've been listening to has finished. or, rather, i got to song #9 on the damien rice cd "O" and it nearly jolted me from my seat, effectively ending my rapidly digressing train of thought (seriously, what's with musicians and their obsession with throwing in a last track to electrify you from peace to chaos? geez).

guess i got some time now to clean my house ... who am i kidding? it's too beautiful outside for that. i think i'll go sit outside and eavesdrop on the conversations of construction men next door.

7 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you so, so, so much. You have no ideer.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Mary said...

i hear what you're saying paul, but i'm not equating wholeness with happiness, nor am i even suggesting that wholeness is even possible here.

also, if happiness is the chief goal, i guarantee you i will fail miserably. perhaps we are simply talking semantics now, but for as much JOY as i take in with my roommates, my friends, my writing, i'm longing for something bigger. i've forgotten that there's a story to my life and my attention to maintaining a "happy" status quo is undermining the excitement of the plot.

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

"like a big sigh of relief. a feeling of mission accomplished. a feeling of "what's next?" instead, the more i write, the more brokenness i find. and the more brokenness i find, the more i see the depth of my own complexity. and the deeper it goes, the more i fear picking up the pen again."

Mary, I do this too. Exactly that. It's funny that you write about this because I have a post that I put in my "draft" file because I was afraid that my ramblings on the subject would sound stupid. I thought I would come back later and "edit" it to hopefully sound a little more organized in my thoughts. I will post it. Without editing it because I feel like we are sort of talking/feeling/chewing on possibly the same thing. Maybe not but in any case, you've encouraged me to post my unorganized ramblings anyway.

AND the ramblings I'm talking about were on the topic of "wholeness" and what that means and how that plays into our relationships with other people.

I don't know what I'm trying to say exactly so I will stop now but I definately feel like I relate to you in this area on some level. Thanks for that.

It feels great to be able to identify or relate to someone else....esp. on things that you personally feel insecure about.

Ok, I said I was going to stop. I will. :)

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Mary said...

believe me, teresa, i considered putting this away in the dark, drafty corners, too...

i love that we can relate on this topic and want you to know that i'm looking forward to reading your writing on this wholeness topic.

last night, i had the best time getting with 2 people i really adore and i admire - and in both conversations, we talked about the fear in sharing insecurities, but the great release and freedom felt when you realize so many feel the same thing. i love that we can identify with each other, teresa. it makes the world seem not so big and so cold.

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Mary said...

oops - "getting with" has some pretty bad connotations... i meant to say, "getting together with" ... just so we're all clear :)

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger allan said...

Hey mare, it was good to get with you hehehe) last night. (And honestly no one would have noticed till you pointed it out.)

"O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise. You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a
broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise." Psalm 51:15-17

 
At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maria,
I envy you. I have avoided writing in my journal for months at a time. Not because of an empty or unfinished feeling, but because I feel that I need to put down all the things that have happened b/c that way maybe I will find some meaning behind any of it.
When I read your blog, you always seem to have some great insight. I seem to be fumbling in the dark and waiting to trip over something but never do.
The point of this (if there is one) is simply to say that it's nice to know that you don't have everything undercontrol and thoroughly analyzed. You're human. Yeah!!
I'm not sure if that made any sense. Lo siento.
Te amo, hermana.
~Paula

 

Post a Comment

<< Home