Tuesday, March 08, 2005

like we weren't in a rush

yesterday night, i took my stuffy nose and pounding head up to the swedish american museum, found a spot on the floor, and examined the jacket of the new anne lamott book while about 150 of us waited for anne to present "plan b: further thoughts on faith."

a long pink scarf hung loosely on her shoulders as anne sauntered up to the podium and opened to chapter three. her dreadlocks were not only beautiful, but seemingly quite useful as well that evening, since she never had to pull them back while her head was bowed reading. she read the way a schoolkid reads a paragraph of his 8th grade sex ed textbook when called upon - real fast and almost embarrassed, in a way that says "miss jones, you're asking me to read about menstruation in front of the class? you do understand that i'm a 13-year-old kid who just wants to fit in, right?" it seemed right that she would read that way. after all, it's honest non-fiction. it's one thing to send a book along to someone about your life, but it's quite another to read what you've written to an immediate audience. while she spoke, i wonder if she heard those little voices ask her what in the world she thought she was doing reading all these private things out loud to STRANGERS?

i'm so glad she did.

the night's audience was vastly female. all ages. and judging by the laughter during the night, there were a lot of mothers and a lot of menopausal women. i like that. i don't know what other people say feminists are, but being in that room, i felt like a feminist. like i love being a woman. like i was sitting in a room with these brilliant and beautiful, wise and wonderful, hopeful and hampered, sensitive and steadfast souls, and how incredible is that? i think it's that the city makes you feel alone; it encourages isolation, segregation, desperation. but then here, god comes through and provides an oasis in the desolation and it satisfies in a way nothing else can. like a generational hug.

to be honest, i haven't much liked my 20s. perhaps i'm alone in this. i know a lot of people who've experienced their 20s much like thrill-seeking children at amusement parks. each ride is bigger and better, and easily catapults them to the next. they don't care how long the wait is or if they barf afterwards or if their legs burn on the molded plastic.

but my 20s haven't led me to any sort of amusement park. i've heard it talked about, but i kind of have no desire to go. my friend liebe takes me to a real amusement park up in gurnee where i get to eat funnel cake and fly like superman once every year. that's fun. and also, enough.

i suppose i don't know what kind of venue my 20s live in. but it's definitely not an amusement park.

that's why it was nice to hear from the folks last night that their 20s were certainly not the best days of their lives. they applauded anne when she said 43 felt like really late youth. in your 40s and 50s, you stop tolerating so much BS and you learn that "no" is a full sentence. and you get to enjoy life in a way you couldn't when you were 20-something.

that's when it hit me that many of my generation may forever live in an amusement park, an isolated carnival that calls to you with thumping pop songs and glo-sticks and happy clown faces. and some of them will never leave, no longer racing from ride to ride, wondering if maybe they bought tickets to the wrong show.

i digress. but being with all these older women, hearing them laugh real deep belly laughs, seeing the character wrinkles in their faces, identifying with each other, catching the looks of agreement and understanding between friends and sisters, mothers and daughters, i laughed fuller and lighter, too. life felt fuller and lighter.

anne said last night that she gets by by taking leaps of faith, by praying all day long those little prayers that give god the freedom to answer how ever god wants: help me, help me, help me. "i pray all day," she said, "because left to my own devices, i'm full of judgment, blame and worry. i pray to get out of my head. and i take deep breaths.

"breathing," she concluded, "is the secret of life."

she moved away from the microphone after her 60 minutes up front were up, but it felt like she had been with us for hours, like a mom who wasn't too busy to sit with and enjoy her kids, like she wasn't in a rush to do anything, go anywhere, be anybody. and we embraced it. because for an evening, we, too, felt like we weren't in a rush.

11 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger allan said...

Despite all the craziness my friend, YOU make life seem fuller and lighter.

p.s I am on the sideline, cheering at the top of my lungs for you. I at least want one of your first copies... signed on the inside by you. (That is one "I told you so" I am looking forward to.)

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger jenn said...

Okay, so reading your entry makes me want to read the book, only - I have a confession to make...I don't really read books written by women all that much (except Jane Austen). I know, I know...as a self-professed feminist I am a failure, but at least know that you've started me on the road to recovery and healing!

 
At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, I want to read the book, too - YOUR book. Seriously, Mare, your writing... it is beautiful, funny, honest, authentic, grounded, thoughtful...inspiring. I feel so proud of you - as if I were somehow partly responsible for some of the amazingness that is you, that is created by you, simply because we shared the same womb or something! HA! Anyway, I love you. You impress me daily. Thanks for providing access to your musings. I'm grateful.
your proud sister Sarah

 
At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm. I wonder if you think I live in an amusement park...

--paolo

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Mary.. I love your writing too and hope one day you will write a book. If we lived in the same city I would love to take a writing class with you. It's funny though, I sometimes imagine myself writing a book, perhaps when I am older and feel like I have more to say about life. If you wrote a book I would probably love it and envy it, and you, because somehow even though we are the same age you are able to say something really poignant about many otherwise mundane things. I think people would like your book and I'm not sure they would like mine. Not to be self-deprecating, just being honest.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Jon said...

I saw her new book in the store today and almost bought it. Let me know how it is and if it as good as the last one. I just hope she curses as much in this one. Oh and as a selfish request can you mention me at some point in your first book?

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Mary said...

first of all, jenn - yes, jane austen is seriously one of the best writers EVER, but "i don't really read books written by women all that much"? what? please come by my house ASAP and load up on anne kimmel, zora neale hurston, maya angelou, anne lamott of course, and so many more. we'll find you healing yet :)

secondly, for real, thanks for the encouragement, people. i think we should all write a book together. it would be like a book version of "we are the world" - hmmm, maybe a few of us should get outside the midwest then ... i'll work on that.

 
At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary dear, well, it's been a while since I've been to your blog (I haven't read since you first sent out the email announcing your new "blogness"). I do believe that this is also my first comment and will be anonymous because I haven't attained "blogger" status yet. Perhaps someday...
What a pleasure to read for a moment. I feel out of the loop because I don't know of "Anne," but reading your blog would make anyone want to hear what she has to say. When is YOUR book hitting the press?
Thanks for contributing to my procrastination in studying for my 7am exam tomorrow. You are an accomplice now.
Your friend.
Liz Sierra

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Mary said...

liz sierra! it's so awesome to have a comment from you! i was just talking about you the other day to some friends.

you should definitely get a blog - your life is begging to be recorded and released to the public :)

how are you????? will you be biking down to chicago anytime soon?

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger Mary said...

oops, paul. i think I didn't read your comment correctly ... and after all that, too. sorry ...

hmmm, no, i do not think you live in an amusement park. i think you live in minnesota, otherwise known as god's country. lucky, lucky you :)

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Mary said...

david, glad you are liking anne lamott. would love to hear your thoughts on the book when you're through.

one more thing, when you first started blogging, i noticed that you mentioned bladerunner was one of your favorite movies. anyway, when we drove through shanghai late wednesday night, my first thought was that bladerunner must have been filmed on location in shanghai. it is THAT city. have you noticed that??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home