Thursday, September 08, 2005

Greg's Tattoo

Annie sat across the table from me in a pumpkin orange shirt, smiling widely as she paused to giggle in the middle of her story, and leaning back a bit, allowing for the table's pillar candle flame to reflect in her glasses and hide her eyes from me a bit. Her brown hair fell around her face in a more sophisticated bob - an updated do since the last time I had seen her - but Annie could not neglect her inner child; she wore a glittery pink clip just at the top of her hairline.

This picture is the still I want to keep of the night. Annie in fall colors, beckoning autumn, leaning against the sandy brick wall of one of my favorite restaurants in the city, as my favorite tattooed waiter, Greg, shuffles contentedly to and from customers and smiles warmly anytime he catches my eye. I want to still hear Annie's thoughts echo off that wall in my memory, listen in again to our dialogue of desire, of carpe diem, of community. I want to see her slowly working away at her grilled chicken sandwich and remember those things we hoped for.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but Greg's tattoo - "please kid remember" - has somehow spoken that memo into a sort of prayer in the walls of Uncommon Ground.

In that room in particular, with its brick wall interior, its uncomfortably high window seats, and its Little-House-On-The-Prairie-fireplace, God's given me snapshots of life. I think He speaks with me there.

Annie quoted a line from one of her favorite movies tonight, a line Jeremy Piven considers aloud with John Cusack in "Serendipity": "You know the Greeks didn't write obituaries. They only asked one question after a man died: 'Did he have passion?'"

She stared at me, lost in her own thoughts a bit. Annie and I are both over-thinkers. We both claim to want our brains to take up other hobbies so we can fall asleep as easily at night as the rest of the universe, but secretly, we feel we have been permitted to enter an otherwise "off-limits" zone. This is wildly thrilling to us.

Finally, she speaks. "That's what I want! I want passion ... And, what's more, I want to stop thinking about it and live it."

To be honest, passion is not an easy thing to talk about (though Annie and I happily broached it, examining its facets for hours tonight). Passion is dangerous, it is delicious; it is rage, it is rapture. It is unsettling and unsafe; it is devoted and desirous. And just mentioning the word makes my soul feel alive.

I hope to keep that picture of my friend Annie, sitting across the table from me laughing, and hold myself accountable to living with passion.

'Cause maybe God speaks through Greg's tattoo. And maybe "please kid remember" is His prayer for me, answered through all those nuggets of memorable conversation.

5 Comments:

At 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blog is informative . Dont't stop. Here's a subject that interests many; how to buy & sell everything, like cat lover gift on interest free credit; pay whenever you want.

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

"Blog is informative"??? OK, whatever...I think you got spammed.

So Mary - I loved this post! Everytime I read your blog I feel like I've just read a tiny snippet of the best part of the best book I've ever read! I don't really know how to explain it.....they're never too long or too short...just perfect...thanks for that. :-)

Also....just a question that came to me while I was reading this post of yours....what are a few of your most favorite words? It's just a hunch but I wonder if you have a few words in your brain that you like to use and try to use whenever it seems appropriate...at least I try to do that sometimes...For example, I like the word snark. Don't know why and don't know exactly what it means but I like it..... I'm sure, however, that your favorites might be a bit more elegant!

Anyway - I'm rambling now....sorry. :-)

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Lovely thoughts as usual Mary. Having been to Uncommon Ground (ok, only once) and myself being one to feel an attachment to places where important things have happened, or just important conversation or thoughts have happened, made me enjoy this one more than usual.

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Sorry for the double post, but I just read Jennie's blog and saw that you might be able to meet in a few weeks when her frend comes there to audition for American Idol. That's so exciting! I really hope it works out. I was commenting on her site how much we learn about another person by reading their blog over time, and I think it's amazing to meet someone that you connect with in "cyberspace" for lack of a better word, in real life. Cool.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Mary said...

good question, teresa. i love the thesaurus, and i know i used to have favorite words, because i recently found a stack of SAT prep words in the drawer of my desk back home with special markings designating my love for them ... i know, i'm a dork.

but right now, i have to say that the words i love are very basic nouns, which i actually just enjoy saying.

pew, for example. i find myself even saying it while i'm running, and just thinking about someone saying, "welcome. please step into this pew." pew. pew. it's just a funny word. pew.

really not as big a wordsmith as i'd like to be. i should look into it. maybe i'll start finding a new word everyday. hmm, you've totally spurred me to it :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home