Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Score.

After purchasing Toad the Wet Sprocket's "All I Want" this morning on iTunes, my friends over at Apple suggested I take a look at a few iMixes that would interest me based on my recent inquiry. Among the slew of "90s essentials" soundtracks, I clicked and stumbled my way to what I think Apple intended for me to discover all along.

They want me to be a soccer mom.

Here's the thing. I may still own the oversized button-down jean shirt, but that does not make me a soccer mom! For crying out loud, I'm only 25 years old. I'm not married. I have no children. And I've actually never played soccer outside the confines of 10th grade gym class. So why, Apple, why showcase the "Soccer Mom Chillout" mix as though I've been waiting on this for years?

I turned my head from the screen, disgusted with Apple for converting my taste in David Gray & Ray Charles into a collection of songs whose cover is illustrated by a snapshot of shopping carts emblazoned with Varsity-esque letters spelling out "Soccer Mom." I sighed. Could I turn back to the screen and confront a future of tangerine-sharing, umbro-buying, cleat-cleaning work? (Is this even what soccer moms do?)

I swiveled my chair back towards the computer and breathed deeply. "Soccer Mom Chillout / Various Artists," it read. "The Basics: You've got the minivan and the checkered vinyl sticker, but do you have the tunes to match your soccer mom image? A solid start is offered here, including the neo-jazz of Norah Jones, the rap-inflected R&B of Lauryn Hill, and firework finale presentations of Coldplay, David Gray, and the Dixie Chicks." I perused the anthology of songs slowly (these are the songs of my inevitable life after all; it couldn't hurt to reflect upon them), my eyes widening as it dawned on me - or rather, as it hit me like a lead brick falling from the sky - : I already AM a soccer mom. In one form or another, I own all of these songs. From Sarah McLachlan's "Ice Cream" to Moby's "Porcelain" to Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me" and back around to U2's "Stuck In A Moment," I own all of them. And what's more, I love them.

And that was only disc one. The complete set is $74.25 worth of 75 crazy good tunes, easily half of which I've had in my own collection for years. As I watched the dust settle, the destruction of my soccer mom stereotype laying in waste around me (the whole of it being "whoever she is, she's NOT me"), I heard a trumpeted fanfare.

Read aloud (in my head, of course; private office or no, I'm not crazy), the description of "Soccer Mom Chillout: The Complete Set" spoke to me like a welcome from an angel, floating above the goal line: "Sometimes you need to turn your life off for an hour ... or three ... replacing the screaming kids and cross-town traffic with lightly sweetened catharsis." I nodded vigorously. "Our suggestions should do the trick by maintaining a tranquil mood with dozens of digestible takes on country, pop, R&B, bedroom electronica, rock and vocal jazz. Just don't forget to breathe as the gentle strum of guitar strings, persistent throb of bath-salt beats, and friend-next-door vocals lull you to the edge of sleep."

Now, to be honest, I hate being boxed-in, categorized, stereotyped, and I will fight you if you ever tell me that I am just a soccer mom. But here, even without any kids to speak of, I knew:

I had arrived.

12 Comments:

At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too!! Me too!

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger me said...

When Jon Anderson, Matt Krueger, Dave Wood, Paul Anheier and some other guys had an indoor soccer league, Mandy, Yoomi, Laura and I (along with others at times) would go to games to cheer them on with signs and bring cut up oranges for afterwards.

It was fun. = )

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Mary said...

Yeah.

See, I just don't think that's me.

I mean, the idea of cheering on people my own age has always been weird for me. Here's the thing. My biggest regret from HS is that I was never a cheerleader (Shelly can testify to this), but if asked to cheer on my own for guys I felt were as cocky as the sun is bright? Well, pass.

I had a friend in HS who wanted me to come watch his games all the time, and to be honest - I don't even know where it came from - but my gut reaction was, "what? like some little girl on the sidelines who can't play herself? who just waits for him like her hero? bleh. pass."

I told you. I have some serious extreme feminist issues. Be patient. I am working through them. There's got to be a healthy balance.

In the meantime, God bless you both, Jennie and Melissa, for your love of cheering. I'm sure it has been and will be always appreciated :)

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger me said...

you're also a somewhat athletic person, too, Mary-- so I can understand your defiance. For me, that's what it's like going to see musician friends all the time (especially the ones girls fawn over). I'm like, "you want me to come? why, so I can add to your groupies? no, thanks."

So, I understand where you're coming from. = )

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Mary said...

exactly. thanks for hearing me on that one, lady m.

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger ericj. said...

mary,

i am starting to understand and i have a few years on you. my kids (coach) look at me like i am the biggest dork in the world. i am turning into that '30's something' i remember i thought was the biggest dork too.

typical teen dad? no, but i am getting there. my only saving grace is my desire to search out new music. i actually know a song or two that they all listen to :)

 
At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a crazy woman, sis. I can only dream to understand the insanity that transforms your identity day to day. Way to embrace . . . "soccer-momness?"

And, if I like those songs, am I a soccer mom too? Help me, Obi-wan.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Mary said...

my brother, you are definitely a soccer mom, too. and ej, you are a typical teen dad.

i love these stereotypes. let's get tshirts that say, "i'm a soccer mom, too."

sweet.

 
At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey mary-its ashlee...can you give me a call this week sometime? i am going to be in chicago next fri-sun (sept 23-25).
920.379.4612

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Jon said...

Now I am helping you two-fold. First you are slipping and in need of a new post. Secondly, I make 10 which is a sure sign of coolness and popularity.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Mindy said...

I never played soccer, but I did play basketball in HS. And I used to throw the ball at the cheerleaders to shut them up. I had issues...

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Mindy said...

Oh, and I love all of those songs, but I don't think that makes me a soccer mom...it just makes me a lover of 90s music. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home