Sunday, October 31, 2004

easy like sunday morning

i had such a good weekend.

my friend jon just left, my roommates are out on michigan avenue and i'm here, enjoying lionel richie and npr. you know when you have those weekends where everything feels easy? man, i wish that's how it would always be. jon and i went to see a play at the shakespeare theatre on navy pier saturday and then went out to wildfire for dinner. i can't remember the last time i had filet mignon that tender. mmmm ...

i think one of the best things about the weekend was being with someone who's so easy to enjoy. i've been really lucky in my life to know so many people whose company i take such great delight in. and i feel that as we all mature, there's something so much richer in our conversations. i notice that more than ever, i long for extended dinners and bottles of wine. quiet sunday mornings and pancake breakfasts. jazz piano and honest conversations. i feel lucky to be living in this moment.

i know someday i may have crazy mornings, waking up children and brushing their hair, cleaning up spilled cereal and clicking seatbelts in the car. i know someday i may be yelling up the stairs to teenage children, asking them to hurry up and get dressed. i know someday i'll spend more time in the car as chauffeur than i ever thought possible. and i know someday, i'll be able to laugh in the midst of those things. because i think god would like that ... because i think i would like that.

for now, god has allowed me a newspaper, a cup of coffee, jazz music on npr with funny-accented hosts, sunshine through my windows. it's in moments like this - after an easy weekend - that i feel like god tells me how patient He is with me. He's not angry that i'm not at church (He knows where we stand on that), He's not just tapping His foot until i pick up my bible and get down on my knees.

nope, i feel like He's here, just sitting on kat's bed, listening to the music with me as i type. He just enjoys me. just being with me. no expectations. maybe He's waiting for me to catch on to the dreams He has for me, maybe He's hoping i'll pray again like i used to, maybe lots of things. whatever He's doing here, i don't feel burdened. i feel like i could almost turn to see him on kat's bed, dreaming with his eyes closed. and it makes me want to ask Him what's on His mind.

when i'm ready, i will. He knows that. so we're just taking it easy this sunday morning. i think that's how it should be.

oh, and happy halloween.

2 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Great thoughts and sentiment Mary.. the simple things in life seem the most pleasurable as well as the most peaceful and fulfilling. It so much seems like God enjoys our quietness before him, even if we are sitting around, reading, writing, listening to music etc...

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Jon said...

I must say Mary that it was a wonderful weekend and you most certainly have the gift of hospitality. If only I could surround myself with good conversation, good friends and of course steak every weekend. I hope your dreams may come alive in due time but that in the process you remain honest and open. Thanks for being real, both in blog world and the real one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home