Thursday, March 10, 2005

soul music

i know i should go home. it's 4:37 and technically, i'm not being paid to sit here any more. but it's cold and gray and snowy outside, so i know katherine and i won't be heading to the Y tonight for turbo kick. and i've got my iTunes here which i'm enjoying too much to turn off. indeed, according to my iTune technology, i've listened to one particular song on repeat today 49 times. that may be a new record.

i'm also waiting here for inspiration to strike. i leave in 2 days and though i'll have access to the internet in china, i don't have quite the same amount of time to sit, digest, and discuss the thoughts of the day with you. so i want to get as much in as i can before the plane takes off.

i'd like to write about the ache in my soul today, but i won't. and i'd like to tell you about the excitement for china i'm starting to feel, but i won't do that either. what i will tell you is how much i wish i were alicia keys right now. how much i wish i had braids swinging down my back, how much i wish i could pound the ivories, how much i wish my voice would carry down the hallway and back ... man ...

if you sing like alicia keys, or if you play the piano, or if you play any instrument and can play it in a way that will make my soul leap, or if you even just have braids, i'm extending you an invite to my house tonight. and then you and i can sing real loud and oh! perfect. the guy downstairs just got a drum set at midnight last night (he was practicing his skills with green day last night - many, many, many times), so we can invite him up too. that's good; my roommates and i have been looking for an opportunity to get to know our neighbors.

so it's 5:00 now, and i'll be shutting down the computer here in a few minutes. it'll take me about 30-40 minutes to get home. meet me there, ok? i could use some good soul music company tonight.

1 Comments:

At 7:16 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Mary- I looked at my watch and checked back to see what day you were leaving and saw that it was the 12th, today!! I don't know if you'll have email or even look at this while you are gone but I hope you have an awesome time, seeing everything, experiencing a totally different culture and just enjoying time with the students. I hope you get to write while you are there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home