Tuesday, October 04, 2005

sometimes sometimes sometimes my mind is too strong to carry on

if i take crap for making song lyrics the center of my post again, so be it. but alexi murdoch's "orange sky" has absolutely stolen my heart.

before the bus pulled away from the memorial union in madison tonight, i had tuned my ipod to that particular track. and i then spent the next hour with "orange sky" on repeat. it was the soundtrack to my crying, and rather unfortunately, i'm sure, my muffled crying was the soundtrack to my bus neighbors' ride to o'hare.

i'm not sure if it was just time for a good cry, or if my tears were prompted by the hundreds of things rather unmercifully begging for my attention, or if alexi's voice just melts my heart so much that crying seems to be the only way to fully express my gratitude for this song.

regardless, i hope you like it, too.

4 Comments:

At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary, I listened to the song and I agree. It's a good song. Maybe something about the song - and songs like it - prompts the listener to do a little step back and see when he's too strong. As I listened to the song, I thought of moments when my mind was too strong to be beaten down or to open up, when both of those things could heal, or at least help me.
But this isn't my blog, so let's not get into that. Although, I think I might have to get a blog as it seems so many others have one. Must...repress...urge...to...conform!
Te Amo!

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Teresa said...

Mary - well, you'll never get crap from me for making song lyrics the center of your post....that's all I ever post! :-) Hmmmm. great song. great artist. thanks for sharing...

and Paula, I agree with you..."Maybe something about the song - and songs like it - prompts the listener to do a little step back and see when he's too strong."

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger MGT Industries said...

Mary, I'm a friend of Eric Jensen's. We actually met at some random pool place in Chicago. Anyway, "Orange Sky" is one of those songs that I just absolutely love. It has such great meaning to me b/c I used to be so close to my brother. I've yet to listen to it in a state of emotional propensity. However, I hung out with my brother on Sunday at Devil's Lake. I had a rather odd moment while he and I were hiking. I've always worried about him...for good reason too. I got overly nervous when we were checking out the views from the edge of the bluffs. I had a friend who died from a really high fall. Later on when we were hiking down I was getting into that emotional state and thought of the movie "A River Runs Throught It" and the sorrow that's portrayed in the end when Norman finds out that Paul was beaten to death. I couldn't handle the thought of losing my brother. So I prayed that God would protect him. It was a very intense and desirous prayer. I had this overwhelming peace as a result.

The reason that I bring it up. Had I turned on that song in my car on the way home, I can confidently say, I would've had an Orange Sky moment similar to what you had. Hasta pronto.

 
At 4:42 AM, Blogger Mary said...

hey mike! glad you could connect to me through eric.

thanks for sharing about your brother. and thank god for good music that puts some semblence of a soundtrack together for our lives to actually help us identify the things we're feeling in certain moments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home